Can my 5 week old already be getting spoiled?

We are finding that my son always wants to be held. I try to put him down on his play mat and within 5 minutes, he wants up, he won't go to sleep unless he's being held (at 1 and 2 weeks he was fine being put down before he completely fell asleep!) or on his tummy (i only let him sleep like that if I'm right there to hear his breathing and definitely not at night!) and he seems to already be fighting sleep! I thought that he was still in the "can't be held too much" phase. Any one got opinions?

happymom7566

Asked by happymom7566 at 4:15 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NO!!! You hold that 5 week old baby till HIS and your heart is content. He will be 5 years old before you know it....I know, mine is 5 about to turn 6.

You can not spoil an infant! AT ALL!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:16 PM on May. 28, 2009

• nope! no worries!!! :) I held my daughter as much as I could and now she's 18 mos and pushes me away. I miss when she was that little and wanted me that much!!! he wants love and knows you are the perfect place to get it ;) and you waited SO long to finally hold him... enjoy it! :) And congrats on your new baby!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:20 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Yes you can definately spoil one by holding them too much. They get too used to it, and when you put them down, they think its not right.
    Anonymous

• My DD was like this up until around 8 wks. She still gets like this at 12 weeks, that's just her personality. I was going nuts, so I wore her in a sling for a while. It should pass, but some babies are just like that. I don't think they can get spoiled, it's just their way to want to be held that much.
    Anonymous

• You can't spoil a child that young! My DD was like that for almost the first year. But now is very independent and plays for long amounts of time by herself everyday. Many times I will try to play with her and she won't let me. She slept with us for the first 21 months. When she FINALLY got her own room, she slept by herself from the first night. No problems.

I truly believe babies are learning to feel safe and secure for the first few months. Responding quickly to their needs only shows them that they can trust you and feel safe in this new world.

I know it can be frustrating. Good luck!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 4:51 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Goodness me, you can't spoil them. They can certainly spoil you though LOL

My first was a sleeper, she would sleep for ages and ages when she was a newborn and I loved it, then I had my second and she would NOT be put down for the first about eight or ten months. She wouldn't sleep at all during the day if I put her down or anything. It was challenging, but I knew that she really needed to be held and it was more important to hold her so she could feel secure.

She is now 21 months old and so independant it's crazy.

You could get a Moby Wrap or sling and just "wear" your baby so that you can still accomplish things and the baby will have the security they need.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 5:02 PM on May. 28, 2009

• NO NO - not at 5 weeks- they are too young to try to get your attention - she NEEDS you to hold her for whatever reason right now !! its not until even around 6 MONTHS that they cry at night cause they know you will come - she's too little now to know that or get that -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:07 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Absolutely Positively NOT!!! He needs to be held...You can't spoil a baby.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:09 PM on May. 28, 2009

• at 5 weeks no. But it is ok for them to fus and cry for a little bit too just remember that.
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 5:21 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Ok anon, you can ignore you baby if you want....we would prefer to hold them and comfort them and show them we are there for them. They did just start out in this hard cold world......they need a soft mommy to keep them safe at least for a while...
    Anonymous