I gave a vegetarian meat!

I feel so bad. My friends sister is a vegetarian. I went to my friends bday party and we were all hanging out outside and it was dark. I made a hot dip (which was delicious) and she started eating it. Then she asked what was in it and I remmebered she was vegetarian. I said it has Homel chili no beans. So she had a few more bites and I thought...well maybe she can have it. Then she asked if it had meat and I told her Im sure the chili does...she quit eating it. This isn't a question...I just felt awful but she gracious. Who else has done something like this?

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 4:26 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i did, my sister is married to a guy who dont eat pork and i made pork fried rice for them... opps
    Anonymous

• wow ths messed up thats no accident ..............no i have never done that...what if she could have gotton sick?
    Anonymous

• wow im sorry. i can say i never done this only because everyone i know is a meat eater.
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 4:30 PM on May. 28, 2009

• yeah sometimes ppl dont eat certain foods cause of health issues not because they are tree huggers or whatever. i CANT have pork cause if i do i will be really sick and in the hospital.
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 4:33 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I have been a vegetarian for 13yrs and I know to ask first, she should have known better IMO
    mommy-perks

Answer by mommy-perks at 4:34 PM on May. 28, 2009

• if it was a health issue she would have been extra cautious. You don't just pick up random food that you haven't prepared yourself. Just so ya know.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't be really upset about it unless you were told to bring vegetarian dishes. I would think if she had been a vegetarian long, she would think to ask, and you told her it had chili in it when she finally asked what was in it. Most chili I've eaten has had meat in it, especially if it didn't have beans.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 4:45 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I've never done it, but I only know one vegetarian. And she knows to ask if things have meat in them if she can't immediately tell plus she brings her own foods to barbecues (tofu hotdogs, portobello mushrooms for portobello burgers). So I wouldn't feel too bad about it if I were you.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:50 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I wouldn't feel THAT bad...especially if she just ate it and THEN asked what was in it? I would say that if that is your own personal diet, it is your responsibility to make sure what you're eating is within your "limits."
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 4:52 PM on May. 28, 2009

• i have to agree, any vegetarian who is worried about what he or she is eating will ask. i've been a vegetarian for 18 years, and i always know to ask.
    mandilovell

Answer by mandilovell at 4:57 PM on May. 28, 2009