is there anything I can do ?

My dog seems to have alergies in the winter he huddles by the heater and then gets all stuffy'(we have gas heat) and now spring ,summer and fall it's every time he goes outside. He gets all stuffy. Is there something I can give himor do for him .THE vet is no help. could any body suggest any ideas. that mighty help please. The poor thing sounds like he 's going to die. Thanks in advance to anyone who gives me advice.

incarnita

Asked by incarnita at 4:29 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Pets

• The vet had us give children's Benadryl to our weiner dog when he is stung by a bee (he ate one, that's how we found out he is allergic). I really wouldn't give human medicine to a dog without checking it over with the vet first. Maybe talk with a different vet to be sure? If they give the same response, make sure to try asking why they feel that the animal doesn't need medication/treatment. I'm definitely not a vet, but they may have a really good and important reason for not wanting to treat it. Sometimes some treatments might take care of the symptoms that we see, but not really get to the cause of the problem, only masking its true nature.
    Anonymous

• His nose gets stuffy? We had a cat who was sensitive to the molds in the basement, and I can't remember what the vet gave her. It was a long time ago though. I wonder if you should try another vet. I hope you figure out something so he feels better.

Answer by Bmat at 4:31 PM on May. 28, 2009

• they may a children s (liquid ) allergy, i gave some to my puppy and it seemed to help, i went my the weight of the dog as if he was a child, but my vet told me to only use the baby or child ones not adult
    Anonymous

• My vet told us to give our 3 pound pomeranian 1.5cc of children's benedryl before turning in for the night.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 9:40 PM on May. 28, 2009