can you tell me why.....

our tropps are in Iraq? In all honesty, I dont know why. We got Sadam Hussein, and Bin Ladin is in Afganastan.
DISCLAIMER- this is in no way a comment against the people in the millitary. I have the utmost respect for sodgers and their families!!!
I just really would like to know why we keep sending people over there. What are we doing?
Thanks

mommymeg03

Asked by mommymeg03 at 4:32 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• sodgers

lol soldier HAHAHA
    Anonymous

• lol oops
    im at work using the computer 1/2 paying attention to what i am writting - sorry
    lol
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 4:38 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Until it is stable and Iraq can handle their own state without being over thrown, we are there.
    I have 2 nephews who just cam back this last year, one is due to go back in August. Right now per my nephews we are "back up" to the Iraqi military and police.

We will "always" have a base there now. That will not go away. But to help them keep peace in their own country is why we are there.

The Soviet Union would love to go in and take over but not as we have. They want to completely take it over.

We are not as "Malacious" as some people like to think. The U.S. may do things most do not understand and wish we would "mind our own business". But we did that once before.......

And Hitler killed so many Jewish people while we were "minding our own business"!
    gr-mom2

Answer by gr-mom2 at 4:40 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Because to leave would create a power vacuum resulting in millions of lives lost (and we'd also lose a stable base of operation smack in the middle east that is conveniently and strategically located). Don't think for a second we'll ever completely vacate Iraq, especially after giving up the Saudi base. If you doubt it, do some math on how long we've been in Germany and Korea.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:15 PM on May. 28, 2009

• When exactly did we get Bin Laden? I firmly believe that the weapons of mass destruction were there but moved to a friendly country like Jordan or Sudan as we moved in and began the search. I don't think that leaving at this time will secure any of the population in that country. Afghanistan is so unstable that if we were to leave, the Taliban will just fill in the void. It still amazes me that we helped Bin Laden kick Russia out of Afghanistan and he repays that debt to us by hating us and bombing the World Trade Centers - TWICE! The 2nd time never should have happened. OBL was offered to Clinton 3 different times after the 1st bombing and he refused saying we didn't need him that we had the bombers. Thank you Mr. Clinton!

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:16 PM on May. 28, 2009

• thanks for the answer!
    i know it may sound dumb but i really didnt have any idea why and the only answers people usually tell me are things like"because Bush is dumb" which is not helpful
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 5:16 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I really think we should pull out. IMO, I think the US government has it in their head that the US is "God" over the world. Have you noticed that ANYTHING that happens in the world, US politicals always have a say about it, or an idea, or we get involved in some way?
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 5:20 PM on May. 28, 2009

• The U.S. may do things most do not understand and wish we would "mind our own business". But we did that once before.......

And we surely will never mind our own business again...we currently have over 800 military bases scattered in over 100 countries across the world. We refuse to leave until some countries kick us out. And we aren't always good guests either. Many countries are getting tired of us being there so they are kicking us out...as they should. We cannot tell the rest of the world how to live, move in and take control and then refuse to leave...it's arrogant and it's why PEOPLE HATE US. Imagine how pissed you would be if some country came here and tried to establish a military base in, say, Ohio? Yet, we slap them up all over the world and then refuse to close them. How much health care could we provide if we weren't paying for those bases we didn't need, I wonder?
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 5:22 PM on May. 28, 2009

• umm i didnt say we got bun laden, i was saying that he is not in iraq and he is who we should be after
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 5:24 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Because, as Cheney predicted in 1996 but forgot in 2003, taking out Saddam caused a quagmire and power vacuum that the warring factions he was keeping under an iron fist are fighting to fill.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 6:49 PM on May. 28, 2009