frustraded mom

im a new mom and i get frustraded easily with my son and when that happens I tend to yell at him and he is just a baby and he doesnt understand why im yelling how can I stop this or what ways can i go about by not yellin at him??

JuLiAnSmOm03

Asked by JuLiAnSmOm03 at 4:34 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When you get to the point that you want to yell, you need to walk away for 5-10 minutes. Take a deep breath & relax.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 4:37 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Take a breather break. When you feel your frustrations getting ready to release, take a step back and count to 10 slowly. Every mom feels overwhelmed because motherhood is never what we expected. No one has the perfect baby. Your baby is going to go through so many changes in it's life and it is hard to understand them sometimes. Just remember he is a baby and he doesn't know how to act or behave yet. But you do....Take a breath. when your DH or So or some family come around take some time for yourself. That is the best thing. See if your parents or someone can babysit for a few hours and go out. Go get your hair done, go to a spa, go out to eat with some friends.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 4:37 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I found that walking away works best. When I just couldn't deal with my son at the moment, I would put hi somewhere safe, his crib or pack and play, and just walk away. Go into the other room, even if its just the bathroom, and just sit. Take some deep breaths, it really does help. You are not a bad mom for getting frustrated, and you are not bad for taking a 5 minute break. It will make you a better mommy to him when you calm down.
    Sarah_Janine

Answer by Sarah_Janine at 4:39 PM on May. 28, 2009

• They can tell when you're agitated. My DD cried ALL THE TIME for the first 2 mos. and there were nights i would get sooo aggravated. I found I was calmer when I got in a nap in the daytime, at least for 30mins. - 1 hr. It was horrible because she'd start up at night and I would be so exhausted. My frustration fed into hers and she just got worse. Be as calm as you can in the moments or just put him in the crib and close the door. Some nights we stuck her in the crib to let her cry, otherwise I would have totally lost it.
    Anonymous

• I would say walk away. There have been many times I have sat on the front porch for 2mins. I can't hear whats going on inside from there. Like others have said, make sure they can't get hurt, and take a a breather. I am amazed at how much better I feel after a little amount of time (1-2 mins).
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 4:47 PM on May. 28, 2009

• yEAH yELLING AT HIM WILL ONLY MAKE HIM CRY MORE.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 4:49 PM on May. 28, 2009

• *BIG HUGS TO YOU* Just walk away for a few moments. If you have someone that can watch your LO for maybe an hour or so, whatever your comfortable with, then ask them to! You need "Me Time"! I use to get so frustrated with my DD when she would cry, and I felt horrible because she was a WONDERFUL baby compared to some others-meaning she only cried when she was hungry, if that. She never had fits or anything! Now, 6 months later she is a little arm monkey, lol, and will throw a fit if I leave out of her site! But I sometimes have to take the 2 or 3 minutes to myself, walk outside, and just BREATHE! It'll all work out momma. Good Luck!
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 4:55 PM on May. 28, 2009

• what exactly are you getting frustrated about the most when this happens? Do you have help or support ?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:04 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I totally understand what your saying. Like everyone said take a breather. I usually ask my husband to help me when I am getting frustrated. Your not the only momma who has gotten to the point of frustration and yelled. hang in there.. :)
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 5:28 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I've been in your sheos, and still am sometimes.
    My advice, as I was told when I was experiencing this frequently, is to put him in his cradle (bouncy or swing) and walk away for a few minutes. Itty bitty may not like it very much, but it's better for you and itty bitty if you take a few minutes to calm down. When you feel like you've collected yourself, go back and try to calm itty bitty. I know that sometimes it is soo frustrating. They're mad and you don't know why. Ontop of that exhausted, hungry, and probably need a good long bath too. Either way, calming down before you get to the point of yelling is important. If your partner is home, hand the baby over and go take a breather. If things get really bad, call up a family member or trusted friend and let them babysit for a couple of hours. Your piece of mind and sanity will come back to you, I promise. I'm saying this from experience, but it does get easier.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:59 PM on May. 28, 2009