Would you let your kid play on a treadmill?

i heard about mike tysons daughter and i told my g=parrents (who watch my daughter) not to let her play on the treadmill and they told me its their house they can do what they want ......and i simply went and picked my daughter up from over there.....was i wrong i feel bad because she loves it over there......she has a blast but i feel like they are disrespecting my parental wishes......should i let it go or what? How would you deal with this

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on May. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• i think it's stupid to let your child play on a treadmill & i was talking to my mom about the mike tyson thing and it sounds like noone was watching the child OR foul play..... and why was it plugged up anyways? gah ppl are stupid.... as for your situation i'd tell them to respect me as a parent or my kid won't come back to their house
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:38 PM on May. 28, 2009

• A parent's rules are a parent's rules. If my MIL chose to ignore my rules regarding my son, she woudn't see him for a while....that said, I have let my son play on a treadmill, and he wasn't coordinated enough for it...I'll never do it again. So no, I wouldn't let your LO play on the treadmill. As for your grandparents watching your daughter, I'd say "No, she's MY DAUGHTER, my rules, or you don't see her." and leave it at that. Her safety is YOUR responsibility. GL.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 4:40 PM on May. 28, 2009

• No I would not let any of my children play on one. I would let them use it if they where old enough. I also would not have one in there room.

itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 4:42 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I also heard about the story(may she rest in peace) & think it is the parents fault for having one in her room
    To answer yoru question NO I would not.
    Anonymous

• Sorry, but treadmills are not for play. They are for walking or running, not playing.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't let my kids play on one AND I wouldn't be too keen leaving my kids with someone who so obviously disrespected my feelings like that. There are some parents that do tend to be super overprotective (this doesn't fall into that category IMO), but even they deserve to have their feelings on their children's safety respected.
    Anonymous

• I would not judge Mike Tyson's family. This was clearly a freak accident. The child was IN their home and playing on a large item that is stable, I am sure that no one thought she would trip and stangle herself. A similar type of accident could have occured around any large appliance, piece of furniture or item with a plug. She was big enough to wonder around her house alone and it is just a sad sad thing that happened.

All the articles I saw said it was the cord. I educate my children and cords, bugets of water, cars, animals, furniture are not toys.... but with a 4 year old I am affraid that dangerous objects are around every corner and we just have to do our best to project them and not blame any poor parent that suffers this kind of freak accident
    Anonymous

• I agree with Anonymouos at :07 - DO NOT JUDGE.

Freak accidents happen. The child may very well have walked on that treadmill many, many thousands of times before without any problems. Or she may have always obeyed the household rule to stay away from it. Do you know? No. Something went wrong this time. It happens. Blaming the parents is wrong and cruel.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:31 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I don't think it's wrong that you went to pick your kids up. They are YOUR kids and if you don't want them playing on treadmills, eating ice cream, around wild animals, out of respect for YOU your parents should do the best they can to follow your wishes. It makes me so angry with my family doesn't listen to me when I tell them how I want to raise my kids. They think because I'm so young (I had my first when I was 17) that I don't know what I'm talking about or they think of me still like the little kid that doesn't have a say. So no, I don't think it's wrong for you to go pick your kids up.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 6:56 PM on May. 28, 2009