Can my 2 weeks old Rottweiler survive without his mom?

I am getting 2 weeks old puppy. How should I take care of him and feed him? He is going to get his tail cut too, so How should I take care of that ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Pets

• I think he still needs his moms milk till 6 weeks.
    Anonymous

• why are you getting a puppy this young??? He needs to be with his mom until at least 8 weeks! You can bottle feed the puppy, but it's not nearly as good as what he gets from mom.
    kryssie78

Answer by kryssie78 at 4:47 PM on May. 28, 2009

• The vet will tell you how to take care of the tail. However, you need to get some puppy milk from a supply store. Call the vets office and ask them how to get it. You can also ask around to see if there are any nursing mother dogs who can adopt another baby to nurse.he will not survive long if you dont get him some "mother's milk"
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 4:47 PM on May. 28, 2009

• WHY Are you getting a puppy at 2 weeks. He still needs nourishment from his mother, important antibodies that enable him to fight off illnesses. If you separate him willingly (as in the mother is still alive and able to nourish him) you're not very bright... ..sorry, I shouldn't say that, but that's how I feel. You wouldn't take a newborn babe away from it's mother would you?

That said...yes, it stands a chance, though smaller.. of surviving without it's mother. Look into purchasing puppy milk at a local walmart or vet's office. It should come in powder or liquid form, and buy a small bottle for the puppy. A baby bottle may work depending on the size of the puppy's mouth. They sell special bottles for newborn animals at walmart, and at your vets office. It will take weeks of devotion of time and energy to the puppy. You will also have to learn how to teach the puppy to poop and pee on it's own, which will require(Continued)
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 4:49 PM on May. 28, 2009

• you rubbing the puppy's anus with a warm cloth to stimulate him. Normally this is done by a mother's licking, but without the mom, you'll have to do it.

If you have the option of letting the puppy stay with hit's mother until it is 8-10 weeks old, PLEASE do. You will have a healthier, and happier, puppy!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 4:51 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Oh, you'll have to feed the puppy every two hours until it's at least four weeks old..that includes through the night...
    BisketLiss

• He will not grow properly if he is not fed by his mother until 5-6 weeks. Bad idea unless you want an unhealthy dog.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:54 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I'll wait until he is 8 weeks old. Thanks
    Anonymous

• OH my goodness, I thought this was because something happened to the mother...I didn't know you were just taking it away from it's mother....let him stay with his mother.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 5:01 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I'm glad to read that you've reconsidered. I'm sure when your puppy reaches 8 weeks, he'll be happy, healthy, and ready to make you the perfect household pet. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 5:04 PM on May. 28, 2009