Christians:do our moral laws changes as we learn more?

Yes, abortion was performed in biblical times, but now we know when we can hear a heart beat. We understand more about the value of life and humane treatment. Do our moral laws become more advance and our scientific knowledge becomes more advance. I really believe science is making breakthroughs because God revealing himself to us.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think moral laws have changed. I do think that how we handle the "moral dilemas" have changed. We factor so many issues into the basics. I also agree that medical advances very well could and probably are divine intervention so many times.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:56 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I don't think the fundamentals change. I do think "when you know better, you do better" so as we learn more, through science or experience, our Faith, morals and personal views expand to encompass these new ideas and/or discoveries. So I don't see it as changing so much as growing. And I do agree that God definitely has a hand in many scientific breakthroughs.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 5:12 PM on May. 28, 2009

• God doesn't change and neither do His laws. Time changes, people change, but God and what He requires does not. ( Numbers 23:19, Malachi 3:6, Matthew 24:35)
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:54 PM on May. 28, 2009

• The instances of "Biblical abortion" in the last thread were well refuted by several CM members including Cinnamon-mom and myself. Just because something (anything of any topic) MAY have been recorded in the Bible does not mean that is pleases God. Jonah did the opposite of what God told him to do. Job whined that God had abandoned him. David committed adultery and murdered the woman's husband to cover it up. Are those things right just because they're recorded in the Bible? No. In fact, the purpose of those stories being recorded is so that we may have mirrors of self-identity and learn from the triumphs and follies of those that went before.

I think that good vs. bad has existed since the dawn of time. I believe that the moral principles of the Bible, if interpreted correctly, can be applied to ANY situation regardless of time and place. God is good and God is immutable. (cont.)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:09 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I believe that children have always been a gift and that ending a life of a child has always been wrong. I think that further information given to us by modern science about JUST how human a fetus really is at early gestation (and to me, at conception) further proves that "in-demand" abortion for convinience is unethical and not something that would have God's approval.

(before anyone jumps down my throat, I must clarify that "God's approval" is just that, it's "approval" meaning something he would desire us to do. It is not necessary for salvation. I do not believe that having an abortion damns your soul to hell. I believe the Bible when it says that nothing can seperate a believer from the love of God. I DO still uphold that abortion for convinience is not something God approves of.)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:14 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Lexylex is right. God never changes. Your moral codes change if you allow them to. God bless
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 6:30 PM on May. 28, 2009

• november love this thread wasn't really about "abortion" that was just an example. furthermore just because you or cinnamon mom refute it doesn't make the your interpretation correct.
    Anonymous

• mo2a27, here is another example. BC came about and it was thought about as nothing more than to stop a pregnancy. Now we know that it can abort a pregnancy. We understand the world is not filled with unlimited resources and are now doing things to be more earth friendly. Do you think understanding more makes us obligated to be more responsible--making us more moral
    Anonymous

• I think the more that we learn scientifically, the more we find out just how complicated the world is. So it reveals the glory of God. And it makes the probability of evolution more unbelievable personally. The fact that this universe existsin such a highly ordered way is a miracle. Our very cells are so complicated they are like a miniature universe themselves!!!

I can't believe that it is an accident or that it all came about on it's own.

I don't think that our morals have evolved at all. I think people are committing the same sins they have always committed. These days we are living in are the same as in Noah's day. I think the Bible is as relevant today as it has ever been, even more so. It reveals to us the condition of our hearts, and that doesn't change just because we feel we are more sophisticated than previous generations.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:44 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Great question by the way.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:45 PM on May. 28, 2009