can u potty train a baby before they're 1?

ilmilu00

Asked by ilmilu00 at 5:02 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not really as they are usually not speaking at that time. you can time train them but they have no idea what the feelings are when they go to the bathroom they just know they go. Its easier once they show signs of knowing they have to go by grabbing themselves, taking the diaper off or telling you. Some girls say they have their kids done by 1 but its time training not potty training. I saw a girl on here with a 5 month old saying she was potty trained. I laughed because at 5 months her child couldn't sit yet it could use a toilet.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 5:06 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Are you talking about conventional potty learning, or elimination communication? They are two different things. One should not be done before the child is ready, and certainly not before 12 months. EC can be begun at birth. As I said, they're entirely different approaches to pottying.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 5:04 PM on May. 28, 2009

• There is a movement of mom's who do it. It is called elimination communication. Personally, IMO the only one trained is the mother.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 5:04 PM on May. 28, 2009

• At that stage I think it's the adults who are trained, not the infant.
    Anonymous

• thanx for the posts!!! u wont believe how much they've helped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ilmilu00

Answer by ilmilu00 at 5:53 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I know other countries so it... not everyone can afford diapers and they actually are potty trained, not just the mom. lol. The baby sits in front of the mom and knows to go, it becomes natural like diapers are to newborns in America. It can be done but if you havent started it right away, then I would wait until the baby is ready
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 7:00 PM on May. 28, 2009