Bigger technically but smaller physically?

My DD weighted 8 lbs. 6 oz and was 20 inches at birth, she was a fairly big baby. When my DS was born and I saw him I would have SWORE he weighed less than her because he was SO tiny compared to her. When they told me he weighed 8 lbs. 7 oz and was 21 inches long I was so shocked because he was actually 1 oz and 1 inches bigger than her. He was smaller physically though. He actually wore newborn clothes and diapers for a month where my daughter couldn't fit them at all when she was born.

Any other Mommy's who have had babies that were technically bigger than previous children but physically smaller?

Vsoul0608

Asked by Vsoul0608 at 5:17 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Okay. My daughter is chunk. So was her brother (me stepson). According to all of the doctors records however, he was bigger. His mother swears up and down that my daughter is way bigger than he was at the same age. I know that isn't exactly the same, but that's all I got.
    You son is just built differently than your daughter. I am sure you noticed that as your child aged, clothes fit differently, not just because she was bigger, but because she grew differently. My daughter just got about an inch taller, but didn't gain any weight. So she now has a whole bunch of clothes that I bought her a while ago that were too tight and too long that fit her perfectly.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:01 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I think boys do look different than girls, my cousin has a baby boy 9 days younger than my daughter and he weighed more than her at birth but she looked bigger than him in pictures and even now she is bigger than him but he weighs more than her but they wear the same size clothes! It's strange, they say girls grow faster at first then boys eventually catch up! It's not something I'd be concerned with if I were you.
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 10:53 PM on May. 28, 2009

• OP here

Mom1Stepmom1 & slynnb-- I know exactly what your talking about, my daughter was really chubby when she was born and my son was really skinny. The Dr said he was just solid thats why he weighed more but was really physically smaller. I look at pics of my daughter when she was his age (15 months) and she was so much bigger than he is now but he actually weighs about 8 pounds more than she did at that age. She was always kinda chubby and still is and he has always been thin and still is. She is 14.5 months older than him and only weighs about 6 pounds more than him and when you look at them you'd think there was more a difference because he is so much smaller. He weighs almost 29 pounds and you'd never know it to look at him, my dd didnt weigh that much til she was 2 and almost twice his size!

Thanks to both of you who answered!
    Vsoul0608

Answer by Vsoul0608 at 3:13 AM on May. 29, 2009