EEG on an 18 month old coming up at LeBonar Children's Hospital in Memphis, TN. Has anyone been through this before?

Do they put him to sleep? I wasn't told to keep him up any later or anything. How do I keep him still during that time? He has autism and sensory issues. Help!!

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 5:18 PM on May. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• You need to call the department at the hospital doing the test.

My son was a little older and I had to bring him in tired. They gave him something to drink that would put them normally in a twilight sleep, but being tired, knocked him out. They put the electrodes on his head as he was going out, ran the test and then woke him up for readings while he was awake.

Taking the electrodes off was hard. She used a wet cloth and wet the tape, but it still pulled his hair. I quipped that she should have done that while he was under and she said they do it on purpose so they wake up sooner and can go home. (he still had to drink and eat a little something, keeping it down before we could leave)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:25 PM on May. 28, 2009

• My dd has mild autism, but no sensory issues. I feel for you. This may be hard. ;)

My dd was about 8 months old or so. They sort of glued the electrodes all over her head. Then did a series of tests, took about 45 minutes or so....??

The previous poster is right, getting the glue stuff off was hard. Call your local hair salon. They know tricks to get the stuff off easier, I have forgotten them all now...

If they are NOT putting him to sleep I would pack a backpack full of dollar tree stuff and pull out things to keep him occupied as long as possible. One thing at a time so they are new and interesting.

Good Luck mommy!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:29 PM on May. 28, 2009

• My daughter had an EEG when she was about 4 months old (she's almost 13 now, so this was a long time ago). They asked me to try and rock or nurse her to sleep, but it never really worked and they kept us for a really long time. I think I would call the hospital for information and any instructions you should know ahead of time. Good luck!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:56 PM on May. 28, 2009

• She doesn't necessarily need to be asleep for an EEG, and it won't cause him any pain. He won't feel anything other than the fact that he has electrodes on his head. Sometimes the electrodes are placed in a rubber cap, kind of like a swimmer's cap. Other times they are placed individually on the head. Ask the person who puts the electrodes on his head how to best get the glue off. Since they haven't given you any instructions, call to ask them if there is any preparation that they'd like you to do. It will ease your anxiety and your son's too.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 6:49 PM on May. 28, 2009