• In the Spotlight:

At what age did you decide it was not okay for children of the opposite sex to see parent's naked?

My husband used to shower with my daughter, she loved it but I was always scared I would drop her. He has since stopped since she is a bit older now. I was wondering at what age you decided that was inappropriate. I also have a friend that just stopped showering with her 3 year old son, because he started asking questions about her genitalia.

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:38 PM on May. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I personally would never care. People make too big of a deal out of nudity in trying to hide it. The only thing that makes hubby uncomfortable about nudity and our DD is the fear of her hitting his penis. Naked is natural. Asking questions is normal and perfectly ok. My 19 mos old points to my pubic region all the time and tells me she has one too. Just like she does with our eyes, nose, ears, toes, etc. We just got out of the shower =) It wouldn't be any different if I had a boy.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 7:25 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I asked my mother the same question the other day and she said that I took a bath with my twin brother till I was like 5.
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 5:46 PM on May. 28, 2009

• That's a tough one. My dd is 7 and my dh stopped letting her see him naked at about 4 or so. My ds is 4 and still see's me naked. He asked questions so I answered them. In the next year or so I'll probably stop letting him see me naked. I think it's a personal decision. I think Kevin Bacon and his family walk around their house nude.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 5:51 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I've never showered with my children and I never will. I find it to be very inappropriate but to each their own.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 6:00 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Whenever/if ever it becomes uncomfortable for either of you.

Some people never let their children seem them naked.... then again, it's no big deal at any age to others. Less than an hour's drive away from me, there is a family nudist camp --- all ages allowed, you just have to be accompanied by a parent if you're under 18.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 6:08 PM on May. 28, 2009

• DH has never felt comfortable with the girls seeing him nude, but when it would accidentally happen it was never a big deal, until she started asking questions. She thought it was poop, and asked me why daddy's poop looked funny. LMAO
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 6:12 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I stopped showering with my son when he was about 4. He still comes in the room when I am getting changed. He has seen his babysitter and other friends of mine nurse their babies, so he sees breasts. With my new baby that is due in July he'll either take showers with DH or me otherwise a bath with his older brother.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 6:13 PM on May. 28, 2009

• When it is obvious for all that it is uncomfortable. Some households are "nude" households. Some are very modest so it's all about your comfort level
    guess_who_wit_6

Answer by guess_who_wit_6 at 6:48 PM on May. 28, 2009

• My dd was around 2 1/2 when dh & I stopped letting her be around him when he was showering or getting dressed.
    briannasmom2

Answer by briannasmom2 at 7:07 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Whenever you're uncomfortable. My boys (ages 4 and 2) see me naked on occasion. I do not shower with them any longer, but I don't run and hide if they walk in while I'm changing. I don't want nudity to be something to be ashamed of. They need to learn differences in genders and when it's appropriate to be naked and when it's not.
    My2J.A.P.s

Answer by My2J.A.P.s at 7:15 PM on May. 28, 2009