Ugh no sleep!

For some reason, my 12 week old just will not sleep through the night any more. My husband and I are night owls and so is Ollie but for some crazy reason he's decided that he's just not going to sleep through the night. At 4am this morning my husband finally took him after he had been up all night and went down stairs so I could sleep. But he said that he didn't fall asleep until 9am. I'm going crazy. This is the second or third night in a row that he just will not fall asleep. Everything is fine with him. Nothing is broken, buised, tied around a toe/finger, belly is full, he's happy all day long even in the bath. He will fall asleep around 9pm and be out for a few hours and then wakes up when Dan gets home from work at 11pm. I normally feed him and he's back to sleep(most of the time). I go back to work in a few days and I have been trying to go to bed earlier but he is hellbent of keeping everything the way it was. HELP!

crazedaffe

Asked by crazedaffe at 5:54 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am so impressed you had a 12 week old sleeping through the night. That is awesome. However, just make sure you aren't playing with him when he is up at night. Make sure Dad comes in quietly so as to not wake baby and don't let him wake baby to see him either. We had this problem for a while. My daughter would sleep fine until I came to bed after work, usually about 1 am. We would just sit with her until she fell asleep, being sure not to interact with her at all. That's all I have for you so long as you know all of his little needs are met. Good luck.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:05 PM on May. 28, 2009

• At 12 weeks it hard to say they are really on a schedule of sleeping through the night, most times it's on and off. I could only reccomend that he not nap late in the day...say after dinner. Make sure dad is super quiet when he comes in. You could try putting him in bed with you when he wakes at night. That way its comfortable, dark and quiet. Then after hes asleep for like 15 min put him back into his crib. You may have to do this alot but thats how I did it.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 6:40 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Get a sleep sound machine and play white noise at night while he sleeps. We did that with one of my twins and it worked like magic.
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 9:22 PM on May. 28, 2009

• wow your really complaining about this my 8 month old still gets up 4 to 5 times a night and never once have I complained sorry if I come across as rude but I dont think this sould be a big concern to you babies wake it sucks but thats just what they do
    Anonymous

• I understand that babies wake in the middle of the night. But this is the first time this is happening. Honest to god, since the first week he was home he has slept through the night. Getting at least 6 hours a night and then all of a sudden he's staying up until 4am and not falling back to sleep? This isn't normal for him. And that just concerns me. Sorry I care for my child.

And to add to it he isn't napping either. I should have put that up in the post but ran out of room.
    crazedaffe

Answer by crazedaffe at 10:36 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Does he act like he is in pain or anything like that? He could be hitting a growth spurt, or starting to teeth (I know it seems early but my daughter was only 10 weeks when her gums started to swell). Perhaps he is gassy and uncomfortable. Does he seem fine and just wakeful? Or is he fussy when he is awake or when he would have normally been napping.

I gotta say, I love that the one person that could have been interpreted as being rude posted ANON.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:03 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Whoa, lucky you. My 12 week old has never, ever slept for more than 4 hrs in a row. In fact, she was getting up every 2 up until last week! I don't think they're very regular at this point. She used to be a good napper, but about a month ago she stopped taking naps in the day altogether. She'll take a few naps for maybe 30 mins. each but that's it. She is fine and all, so I haven't worried. Maybe your kid is going through a growth spurt or teething or something. I'd say, just try to limit stimulation, noise, keep his room dark, but I think we all have to deal with this constant waking. Some babies do it early and often (like mine) while some pick it up later. Sorry:(
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:04 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I should add that I've been back to work full-time for 2 weeks. Drink coffee and try to have ur DH help out. I bf. and was getting up every two hours, it was horrific! I'd have to turn around and go to work with that little sleep. She's now going a bit longer btwn feedings at night, but it does suck. There is no magic solution, your body will just get used to it.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:07 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Thanks every one. We asked our ped. about it and he said that he was probably teething. Thanks every one that offered advice. I love this site! :)
    crazedaffe

Answer by crazedaffe at 5:06 AM on May. 30, 2009