8 month old face forward in car seat?

I have an 8 month old who is too big for his infant carrier. He is a big boy. Very long and 20 pounds. He meets the height and weight requirements to face forward, but he is only 8 months old. My other car seat that is big enough for him only faces forward - it says it is good for 20-60 pounds, but I know they are supposed to be a year before they face forward. If he meets the requirements can he face forward sooner or do I need to buy another rear facing seat for 4 months???

expectoct

Asked by expectoct at 5:54 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would. Contact the hospitals or the police station or the fire district. A lot of times, they will have new carseats for cheap for people that struggle with buying a new one. You can get a convertible one that will go from rear facing until 35 lbs or so to forward facing until about 50 lbs. Those are fairly common.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:57 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Get a convertible seat, do not forward face him
    Anonymous

• Both my kids were the same way. We had to get a new carseat when my dd outgrew hers. When we bought one for my ds we made sure it said rear-facing until 35 lbs. My dr. said even though he was big enough his bones/muscles weren't developed enough to be forward facing. I agree with Mom1, check with the police station or fire district.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 6:01 PM on May. 28, 2009

• We had to do this at 9 months. My daughter was 21 pounds and her carseat was only rated for 22. I knew she was going to weigh more than that by one year. So we got a convertible seat.
    Anonymous

• i personally would just go ahead and put him forward facing. i had to deal with the same thing with my oldest daughter who is now 6 because her legs were sooo long. i couldn't stand to stick her back there with her legs so crunched up, i could imagine how uncomfortable that is(was).
    kalielaynastar

Answer by kalielaynastar at 6:03 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I'd also suggest getting a convertible that you can use up to 30 - 35 pounds rear-facing. I know it's a pain buying another carseat when you thought you had it covered, but it is the safest way to transport your big boy.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:03 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I think most people get a convertible car seat (meaning it can either face forward or to the rear) once the child outgrows the infant carrier. Most convertible car seats I've seen are safe to rear face until the child either reaches the maximum height or weight limit (usually 25 inches tall or 35 pounds). You can then use that same car seat to forward face until they reach the height/weight limit (varies depending on the seat, mine is 65 pounds or 49" tall). The AAP now recommends that children sit in a rear-facing car seat until they are 2 years old (or until they pass either the height or weight limit).
    asyoulikeit

Answer by asyoulikeit at 6:05 PM on May. 28, 2009

• i turned my daughter around when she was 10.5 mo. Well, i didn't turn her i was in the hospital and the military police and my MIL turned her that wa cuz they couldn't figure out my bigger car seat. I would try to hold out a little longer... or take the advice from mom1stepmom1 up there! Maybe look on craigs list for a cheap one! I have two but i got both for free from people whose kids outgrew them. Hope this helps!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 6:09 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Costco (I think it's Costco) makes a carseat called the Scenera that rear faces until 35 pounds and forward faces to 40 pounds. It is less than $50 at Walmart and sometimes the health department will give them out for free. I would get one of those and then when he hits 35 pounds, flip him forward in the seat you have.

Also, just as a point of clarification, long legs are not an inhibitor to rear facing. There are no documented cases of a child's legs being broken while rear facing in a car accident. Also, kids can be taught to cross their legs when rear facing. It looks uncomfortable to us, but it is not uncomfortable for them.
    JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 6:28 PM on May. 28, 2009

• My daughter grew out of the infant seat at like 6 months and I got a convertable carseat. You can find them for pretty cheap. I got mine at Target on sale for like $70. I have seen others for like $50.

It is against the law to turn them forward untill their first birthday and the ticket for doing so is alot more expensive then a new carseat.

Besides isnt it worth the safty of your child? :)
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 6:31 PM on May. 28, 2009