I have a 14 year old daughter, and she wants a job this summer. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• i did berry picking when i was 12... a vet office also said I could some and help take care of the cats... babysitting too! That's all i can think of...
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 6:14 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Have her babysit or volunteer somewhere. she's not old enough to be hired anywhere.
    Anonymous

• Babysitting? Lifeguard? Mowing yards? Those are just a few I can think of.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 6:15 PM on May. 28, 2009

• 14 is pretty young other than working as a babysitter or lawn care... I was 15 when I got my job at a skating rink and it was really the only thing I could find that would hire under 16.
    mom2eliandjayde

Answer by mom2eliandjayde at 6:15 PM on May. 28, 2009

• She could take a babysitting class and babysit. My sons worked as bag boys at age 14. We had to get a form from the school to permit it, but it was easy to arrange. They got minimum pay plus tips.

Answer by Bmat at 6:16 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Check what is legal in your state before you allow her to work. In Wisconsin a teen cannot work until they are 15 or 15 1/2. She could babysit or help an eldery neighbor with chores. I don't think a 14 yr old should be working other than babysitting.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:09 PM on May. 28, 2009

• You can check to see what businesses in your area hire kids at that age. Usually McDonalds does and some grocery stores might hire for bagging. Other than that it all depends on what she enjoys. If she likes cleaning and organizing she could clean house for friends, neighbors or co-workers. If she likes children she could babysit or be a mother's helper. Taking the Red Cross Babysitting course is a good idea, it shows responsibility & she'll learn a lot. If she likes pets she could try dog walking or pet sitting. Helping out the elderly is another great way for teens to make good money. Mowing lawns, pulling weeds, painting, planting flowers,etc. She could print up flyers and put them up in your neighborhood. Let everyone you know that she is interested in working and I'm sure she will soon find herself with some extra cash in her pocket.

Good Luck!
    bookworm65

Answer by bookworm65 at 2:26 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Try a local drug store. They do not stay open late and most are closed on Sundays, and they still pay minimum wage. My son will be 14 this summer and has a job at the drug store his grandmother works at, he will only work till 6pm during the week and till 1 on sat (he will have every other sat off) and they are closed on Sundays. It is a win-win job for him and me!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 3:53 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Have her contact the Red Cross and find a babysitting class. My 13 year is a RC certifiied babysitter and charges $7 an hour. It turns out that parents prefer a mature young teen who knows CPS and first aid to a flighty college student

Answer by rkoloms at 11:17 AM on May. 29, 2009

• There are not a lot of jobs out there for teens now! Or adults! But if she has gone throught the red cross babysitting program where the kids learn cpr and other emergency things and other important stuff that you need to know when babysitting. Than i would suggest babysitting! And if you have a lawn mower at home that she could use! Maybe she could other peoples lawns for money! But you could take her to the employment office and find out if there really are any jobs for kids for age! good luck!
    babyboomer1957

Answer by babyboomer1957 at 11:25 AM on May. 29, 2009