What are your views on the segrigated Schools and Celebrations that are still going on today?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 6:34 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• This is only one of the articles I've read lately... http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/magazine/24prom-t.html

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:37 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Wow!!! I did not know that stuff still happened. I was born and raised in the south and our proms were only divided up into Junior Prom and Senior Prom. That is nuts.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:42 PM on May. 28, 2009

• :-O
    Incredible. Just...wow.

I guess I'm a naive little child to think that segregation like THAT was over and done with. That absolutely infuriates me! I was born and have grown up in North Carolina. It has its share of racial issues, but I guess my little backwater town was progressive for its time. My high school had two campuses, the regular school and the technical classes school. The technical school was at one time the "black" school. When the whole racial thing went down in the 60's, they closed the school as a "black" school and integrated everyone.

Non-segregation is all I've ever known. I know it's horrible to think about, but I hope that when my generation and the one before me are old, racial segregation like that prom will have disappeared. I can't imagine what it was like before black people gained equal rights. (Oh wait, yeah I can, there's a certain minority group now! But that's another subject.)
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 6:45 PM on May. 28, 2009

• When I lived in AL the proms, etc, were not segregated, BUT they did have a Homecoming Queen and a Black Homecoming Queen, A Prom King and Queen and Black Prom King and Queen. It is absolutely disgraceful. It is saying that the black people were on a different level than the other students. Like the black kids couldn't compete. I don't know if it is still going on. We moved in 2001.

Here in AZ it is not so blatant, but there is racism. If anyone has dark skin and a hispanic name people automatically assume they are an illegal from Mexico. Horrible things are said and done to people because so many assume they are illegally in the US. Not too long ago in PHX a man was walking in a parking lot on his phone speaking Spanish and he was brutally beat and murdered by a random man. The only motive the murderers gave is that the guy was probably illegal.

AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 7:05 PM on May. 28, 2009

• That is nuts, but it doesn't surprise me. I am against racism. We are all people regardless of color. God's law on not judging includes color of skin. Sadly it happens both ways still to this day. God bless

mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 7:13 PM on May. 28, 2009

• That's just pathetic. I can't believe there's a legal way to pull it off.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 7:36 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I can't believe this is still going on! And I think some of the kids were being a little too forgiving of their white friends...Yeah, you listen to what mom and daddy say, but by the time you're a Senior, shouldn't you be making decisions like that on you own? And if the "black prom" is ope to white students, why not decided (as individuals) to go to THAT prom, just to show your support?

I was raised in NW Arkansas and we didn't have anything like this! Even our Junior/Senior prom was for both classes!

IMO its a lame 'tradition' that needs to be corrected, but yet no one seems to actually do anything constructive in order to bring about the change (on either side)
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 7:47 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I can't believe they are doing that!!! OMgoodness. That makes me so sad.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 8:31 PM on May. 28, 2009

• What year is this 1920? I was brought up with the idea that we are all people and it does not matter what color your skin is. How could this be happening in 2009. The kids should stand up to their parents and fight for what is right.
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 9:36 PM on May. 28, 2009