speaking of the Bible and moral laws changing...

Is there anything about "going green" or preserving the environment in the bible?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, he gave us dominion over the animals and the earth. I guess that means he expects us to take care of it. I don't think it means to buy "green" and spend a butt load of money padding someones pocket while they try to guilt us into it buying only products that are certified green and the price is jacked up because it is called "green".
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:20 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I think that working the land is eco-friendly. That was our "curse" but it has been our blessing. Farming is healthy for the earth and for our bodies. But we are not doing what we are supposed to be doing. ***This will be my personal rant*** Organic farming honors God and our own bodies. But now we have all this industrialized farming (genetically modified seeds, pesticides, herbacides, etc.) This not only pollutes the environment and our water sources, but it is terrible for our bodies, giving us cancer, ruining the nutritious value of the food, etc.

I am totally against conventional farming. And spiritually speaking Adam was supposed to work the land and by the sweat of his brown and labor he was to reap a harvest. Our modern agriculture has used "scientific advances" to sidestep this and our earth and our health is paying the price. Look at how unhealthy we have become. Most people don't even eat real food anymore.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:49 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Most families have replaced real food with packaged processed convienience food.

So yeah, I think the biggest threat to the environment is our own "advancements" not the fact that I use a normal lightbulb.

Should we reduce, reuse, and recycle. Definitely. But would back when we weren't slaves to our consumerist mentality it wasn't an issue. People 100 years ago weren't using plastics, they weren't wasting fossil fuels, and they weren't polluting the environment. We do it now because we are more materialistic and looking for convenience.

*That was my own personal rant.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:52 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Sorry that last sentence didn't make sense. I get a little carried away. I am a member of the organic consumers association. I am passionate about stopping multi-national companies like Monsanto, stop polluting our environment, ruining our agriculture, and destroying the health of our world just to turn a profit.

I would love to return to the more simple life (Little House on the Prarie style, LOL : ) But as much as I try and spread the word and get people to sign petitions, these companies are so big and the gov't supports their work and it seems impossible to do anything.

But seriously, until the gov't starts regulating the giants like Monsanto, your little light bulbs aren't going to save the planet.

Our planet is a gift from God; we should take care of it.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:59 PM on May. 28, 2009

• We are to be good stewards of all God gave us. Where people tend to cross the line is almost worshiping the creation more than the creator. We are having a struggle here in central CA because radical environmentallist have blocked water delivery to farmers over a fish in the delta. The particular fish isn't even endangered. In the mean time people are going hungry because there is no work for the farm workers.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 10:34 PM on May. 28, 2009

• There was no need of it in biblical times as human activity was on too small a scale to be a threat to communities, let alone a threat to the planet as it is today. The economies of ancient societies were almost exclusively agricultural and the only power and means of transport was human and animal.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 10:40 PM on May. 28, 2009