Breastfeeding + new teeth?

I only got to nurse my little one until she was two months old. Now im 7 months pregnant with my second and i plan on nursing him until he's two (while pumping for my first). Every time i look at my first child those sharp little teeth give me chills.
So to those of you who breastfed, did it hurt when your little one first got their pearly-whites? Did they bite you alot?

Thank you in advance for your answers ^__^

SpiritedTigress

Asked by SpiritedTigress at 6:53 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It depends on the child. I nursed my middle child until he was 8 1/2 months and never had any biting issues with him. My youngest went through a short period where she would bite every so often and after a few times of me immediately ending the nursing session and setting her down and saying "NO!" she stopped. It does hurt when they do it, not gonna lie, but not all of them end up going through that phase and from what I've heard and experienced it's usually a brief period. Good luck!
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 6:56 PM on May. 28, 2009

• My son breastfed till he was 15months. He would go to bite me a few times I would take him off the breast and tell him NONO in a stern but calm voice and that usually worked. Once he bit me so hard my natural reaction was to smack his mouth of course nothing hard, he NEVER did it again.
    Anonymous

• It really does depend on the child. Sometimes they might bite, but if you handle it well and swiftly, it shouldn't be a problem at all.

With my first, before she had teeth, she would clamp her little gums down on my nipple and then pull off. THAT hurt worse than anything else she ever did with teeth, I just had to make sure she knew it was NOT ok and not let her get away with it.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 7:15 PM on May. 28, 2009

• DD started biting me before she got teeth and yes it hurt. But she only did it a couple times and learned pretty quickly that she wasn't going to get booby if she bit mommy.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 8:32 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Biting breaks suction ... My DD never bit me and she's almost a year. Sometimes when she's not paying attention she misses my nipple and latches onto my skin and that hurts like hell. I think if you say no and pause or end the nursing session she'll get the point. By the time she has teeth she should understand.
    Anonymous

• FOR ME the whole NO thing didn't work...she has drawn blood twice on me. This last time a couple days ago was enough to bleed through my shirt and onto my sheets.....it was in the middle of the nite and she didn't even wake up but holy crap did I want to scream.....I however do pump during the day b/c it was turning into a more negative experience for both of us. and it works fine for us and she still does nurse at nite....Im not trying to discourage you but it's probably b/c I induced nipple confusion by pumping from when she was just a few months old. Im not the type that will nurse in public b/c it makes ME uncomfortable.....I will probably do different with the next. BTW, she only has her 2 bottom teeth. but yeah, it hurts .
    Anonymous

• My son bit down a few times and I just stuck my pinky finger into the corner of his mouth between his gums, and it broke the bite and the latch. It bothered him enough that he didn't do it again. The trick is to have zero tolerance for biting when they have NO teeth. Many women let their babies chomp down with their gums.

The first few teeth hurt a bit because they come out with sharp little edges that have to wear down a bit. But it wasn't too bad. The baby learns to adjust their latch. I'm now breastfeeding a little kid with a full mouth of teeth and he never bites at the breast. He DOES bite my shoulder on occasion.
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 11:37 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Every baby is different. My son has had his bottom teeth for a few months, but jut cut his first top one last week (he's 9 months). When he was 5 months (before he had any teeth), he bit me once, and I screamed, pulled him off, and made it VERY clear to him that biting was NOT acceptable. He hasn't done it since, which I am eternally grateful for! I do feel his top tooth rub, which gets sore after awhile, and when he has those LOOOOOOONG nursing sessions, it gets to me, but I power through it.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:22 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Didn't hurt unless they bit and I stopped that real quick. I pulled them INTO my breast to get them to let go and associate something bad happening to them and then sat them down and told them mouths are for kissing. I had to do that once with my first and twice with my second. I nursed my first till age 18 months when I was 5 months pregnant and he self weaned and the second is almost 2 years and still going strong! Sometimes as they fall asleep at the breast the teeth will drag a little and that hurts, but I just slip a finger in to break suction and take them off right away to avoid that.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:48 AM on May. 29, 2009