Do you get warts on your hands?

I just had a plantar wart surgically removed and now I notice that there is a small bump on my thumb. I didn't think anything of it but then I thought it could be a wart! It is so tiny though. Like the size of a small ant bite or tiny white head pimple.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Health

• Warts are actually a virus, so if you have one then there is a good chance that there will be others unless the virus is killed.
    Two of my daughters had warts terribly bad. One of them had plantar warts and went for freezing treatments on a weekly basis until they were all dead - it took months!!! That was back in 1999 and she hasn't had any since!
    My other daughter had them bad on both her hands around her fingers and some on her feet. The doctor she saw said that normally, if you kill one of them bad enough, then the whole virus dies and all the others die. So he killed one of hers on a finger, it turned black, and within a week, they all turned black. Her hands looked horrible for a good month! Once they healed, they were completely gone and the ones on her feet disappeared. It's been 3 years for her and she hasn't had any since.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:39 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Yes, you can get warts anywhere and I think if you have already had one, it is probably more likely that others may appear. I think it's probably fine, but as to not get bashed or give you bad advice I simply must note that any changes in skin appearance or new bumps/moles/lumps should be checked out by a doctor.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 8:27 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I've never had them but my son used to get them a lot, loves to hang out in the woods. Take a look at it under good lighting. If it's a wart it will be a bit rough like a callus and will get dark 'dots' on it. We didn't want to use the OTC freezing treatment and risk damaging the healthy skin and the others weren't working. Duct tape! A small piece of duct tape over the entire wart. Change it every few days till it's gone. It cuts off the air to it which it 'feeds' off of.
    Anonymous

• Oh, by the way, neither of my daughters have any scars from where they had warts. Their skin is clear, smooth, and normal. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:41 PM on May. 29, 2009