2 year old in a booster seat??!!

A friend of mine was at my house the other day and she brought her kids with her. Her youngest is only 2 and she told me he usesa booster seat. I asked her if he meets the requirements and she laughed it off saying, "I don't know." This is her kid we're talking about. She is not the safest driver. She has been in 4 or 5 different accidents over the past 2 years. I am concerned for her son's safety. I told her that there are requirements for a reason, but she shrugged it off. What should I do? She is too lazy to put him in a correct car seat. I know for a fact that he doesn't meet the requirements. Guys I don't want to get her in trouble. I'm concerned for her son. Oh, and when her ex takes the kids to church, none of them have seats. The oldest is 8 and may not need one. The others are 5 and 2. The 5 year old is the same size as my 5 year old and she has to be in a car seat.

krissyvelazquez

Asked by krissyvelazquez at 7:11 PM on May. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• You need to report that! That is so unsafe. My son turned 4 in April, and hit 40 pounds a few weeks ago, and I still don't like the idea of a booster seat. I let him finally have a booster seat about a week ago, but I told him when I take him to his dad who lived over 2 hours away, he has to sit in a big car seat. 2 years old is way to young, what happens if she gets into an accident with the kids, and they get so hurt. And I can't believe that the dad doesn't put them in anything. That is so horrible, that makes me so sad.
    momofdevon

Answer by momofdevon at 9:27 PM on May. 28, 2009

• ensure that they have carseats then, or report them to DHS. It's a safety concern, and carseats can be found fairly inexpensively if you look in the right places.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 7:16 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Just report her. Safety first. She won't go to jail or anything. But someone in authority needs to set her straight. A 2 year old should still be rear facing. A 5 year old should still be in a 5 point harness. And an 8 year old should either be in a harness or booster. Those are NOT opinions. This friend is not a good mother if she's blowing off something so important. Someone needs to do something about it.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 7:29 PM on May. 28, 2009

• A two year old does NOT have to be in a rear facing car seat. Wherever she got this idea. And if the kids meet the requirements they can be in a car seat that they can fit in. Even if it means booster seat.
    Anonymous

• I put my almost-2-yr-old in a booster seat. I don't know if he "meets the requirements" - there are no legal requirements for how your child sits in your home, that I am aware of - my son has growth issues and needs to eat, so if he eats better in a booster and I watch him the whole time and see he's ok, that's my requirement. The carseat thing is another issue - even though we didn't have carseats as recently as the 80's - carseats are law now, and I have one for both my kids b/c I think it's safer overall and have no reason to rebel against the law in that regard. My feeling is that the woman must know this, as should her SO, so I'd just let them get caught. If you are close, you might ask her casually if she knows about the law and carseats - the booster seat, though, I personally don't find that strange or unsafe. Aren't parents at the table w/ the kids to supervise anyway?
    Anonymous

• Anon 6:34...the OP is talking about putting a 2 year old in a booster CAR seat, not a booster seat at the kitchen table. 2 year olds should still be in 5 point harness car seats in my state...every state is different so maybe there is a state that requires 2 year olds to be rear facing.

Back to the original question...I do think she needs to be reported to either the police or DHS for improper restraints in the car. It's their lives at stake which has to take precidence over not getting her in trouble. I think she might get a ticket? But more than likely just made to get correct seats for her children.

Btw, my 7 year old is still in a booster and I intend to leave her in one until I feel she is safe to ride without regardless of what the state mandates, and my 4 year old is still 5 point harnessed.
    MynTop

Answer by MynTop at 7:47 PM on May. 28, 2009

• By 40lbs, they can sit in a booster without the 5 point harness. What are you all going nutty for? Not everyone can afford to spend $300 on a carseat that harnesses up to 65lbs.
    Anonymous

• AND by the law, a child does not have to rear face past 20lbs and 1 year old, but why am I telling you all, you're all mothers of the year.
    Anonymous

• If the booster has a back, then they can be as little as 30 pounds, which isn't much of a stretch for a 2 year old. At least she is putting him in something. I used to live in CA and OMG, did you know that 18 people can fit in a 4 seater as long as half of them are little. LOL Sorry, I know this isn't a joke, but really. Is the kid almost 3, or just turned 2? Is it a big child, or a little one? Does she have access to a different car seat? People make choices for all types of reasons, and just because 1% of America thinks children should be rear facing until they can drive themselves, doesn't make it better. Just another choice. Some states still have the 4 years or 40 pounds, some are 4 years and 40 pounds or 6 and 60 or 8 and 80. If you were that worried, I think you would have said something by now.

Anonymous

• well i have my almost 2 yr old in a booster seat (the one with the high back that has a 5 point harness but it doesnt fit right no matter how we adjust it so we use the car seat belt but its ok becasue its secures him the way its supposed to) and then my almost 4 yr old and my 5 yr old both sit without seats because our car is too small to fit them all, but i always always always buckle them up- sorry if this doesnt meet anyones standards but unless u plan on buying us a minivan just shut up about it- and for the op if u dont like it why dont u offer to buy ur friend the "right seat" maybe she cant afford one or maybe theres a reason she doesnt have one- maybe u should think of that before going and reporting her for it
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 10:19 PM on May. 28, 2009