• In the Spotlight:

Sotomayor depicts "equal justice under the law" or affirmative action?

Obama is trying to sell his pick for Supreme Court Justice. He said the following about her "Sonia Sotomayor�s life is proof that all things are possible. And when she ascends those marble steps to assume her seat on the highest court of the land, America will take another important step towards realizing the ideal that�s chiseled above its entrance: Equal justice under the law".

Equal Justice Under the law? But what about the firefighters she denied raises to in court? These men worked hard and passed a test to get promotions, but the city decided to disregard the test results because they yielded too many qualified applicants of one race (white) and not enough of another (black).

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/politicalintelligence/2009/05/sotomayor_slugf.html

http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/2009/05/does_sotomayor_have_empathy_fo.asp

Do you think she is fair and equal? Or racial and emotional?

thundernlight

Asked by thundernlight at 7:19 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• i think she is racial adnemotional just like the idiot that picked her
    Anonymous

• I don't think she is fair and equal at all. I'm not too excited about her and would hate to see this rushed through. I realize she will probably be confirmed, but I wish they would at least spen some time seriously examining her. I hesitate to call her racist or racial just because I think it gets used to much and think it should only be used for true hatred (not stupidity)!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:25 PM on May. 28, 2009

• She thinks the law should be applied with the offender's background taken into consideration. So, if a person who grew up poor breaks into your house and steels and committs murder that person gets off easier than rich kids because (s)he was underprivilaged. The law is suppose to be blind hence the statue of the blindfolded lady holding the scales. The offender's background can't be considered. Breaking the law is breaking the law. She also believes in legislating from the bench. Why have a Congress if laws are going to be written from the judiciary bench?
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:29 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I just don't understand why you would NOT support a man who is trying to better himself, educate himself, pass a test, do the legwork for a promotion and then NOT give him the deserved money.

The city dangled a carrot in front of these men, those who could get it - DID, now they are taking it away! what does THAT say about hard work ethic in this country? why should people try to better themselves if this is the reward!!!
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 7:29 PM on May. 28, 2009

• true jesse123456. sad but true. what is this world coming to? nothing fair and equal about that!!!
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 7:31 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I really CANNOT believe Obama supports this.
    Anonymous

• While I agree that this particular ruling was unfair IMO, she did not rule all on her own. Others were involved....
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 7:33 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I can anon
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:36 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Ozark......the "others" are not nominated to be Supreme Court Justices.
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 7:55 PM on May. 28, 2009

• momof030404----- True, but find one judge who has never made a bad decision in their career. Its just not possible. So, IMO, while it was a bad decision, it in no way makes her unsuitable as an appointee.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:49 PM on May. 28, 2009