Does your MIL think she is your child's mother?

I really think my MIL is severely confused and is by far trying to OVERSTEP her boundaries. Dh has a friend here. He has been here since Tues and is staying until tomorrow. Mind you, this is a very nice, courteous and church-going man. Dh has known him for over 11 years. Well, his mom called and found out that he was here and said (translated, she barely speaks english) He is spending the night? He could hurt the baby while you're sleeping . . . next time, I'm taking her!

UMMMM . . excuse me? Does she think we would really have people like that in our house? That is just absurd and ridiculous! And "Next time, I'm taking her!" -----she is my child, she will never "take" her. I am infuriated. Dh always sticks up for his mom, but even this time, the look on his face was like . . . woah. I think finally he is seeing that his mom is trying to control everything that has to do with our dd.

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 7:28 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My so's mother thought she was...she would refer to the baby as OUR baby, etc. I put a stop to that immediately. She was so used to running so's life that she automatically assumed that she was going to run the baby's life too!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:57 PM on May. 28, 2009

• No, but my mother use to think she was my oldest mother.
    Anonymous

• Yes my mil does too especially with our oldest but with our newest baby born on x-mas when we were getting ready to leave the hospital she called and asked if we were coming to the x-mas thing at my bil's house we said yea we just needed to go get a nursing bra and she said to me I told dh and I'm telling you to bring that baby to me before you go anywhere else! I was like no my kids my way
    Anonymous

• my MIL sometimes says "my baby" when talking about my son, and yes, that irks me, but I know she means well. I make sure to assert myself when she tries to criticize something I've done or am doing with our DS. Just be confident in how you handle yourself whenever she says stuff like "Next time, I'm taking her."
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 7:36 PM on May. 28, 2009

• She always calls my daughter "Mi niña" and she even tells me that people ask her if my daughter is hers. She is almost 60. Even if they do say that, why does she go out of her way to tell me? This woman wants to control every aspect of my daughter. It drives me NUTS. Dh works second shift, and I swear she buys things for my daughter just to "stop by" and snoop on me. It is not beyond crazy to think that these people want our daughter for themselves. They had 2 boys and then a grandson (who is 13) . . . dd is the first girl.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:40 PM on May. 28, 2009

• My MIL got upset that I let my husband (her son) take our children to N.C. with him, he worked out of state. She said, "it's not like they were going with us" (meaning her and her mother). And I told her, "You are very mistaken in thinking you are a third parent to my children. That's their father, and I trust him before I trust you." She didn't like that too much, but she got over it, and she no longer has so many things to tell me all the time about my family.
    Aneya

Answer by Aneya at 7:49 PM on May. 28, 2009

• No, my but own mother does on occassion.
    Anonymous

• My MIL died two years ago. But my *own* mom, ohhhhh yeah. She's always telling me that I'm doing things wrong. I wish I could grow the balls to tell her that she's not a perfect parent...because look at how I turned out! HA!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:03 PM on May. 28, 2009