Need ideas to get two year old to gain weight

My grandson needs to put on weight. I offer lots of healthy foods but he eats well one day and picks the next. He likes vegetables and fruit,bread, pancakes, grits, and will also eat eggs and cheese, fish, chicken, and meat. He likes ice cream and pudding . He has one PediaSure a day and a yoghurt for his bedtime snack. The doctor said to give him protein packed foods and limit him to two cups of milk a day. What else can I give him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:59 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Once a child reaches 1.5 to 2 yrs, they plateau for a while. They may not grow much for the next year or two. My niece is still the same size she was 6 months ago.. my son hovered at the same size for 6 months before his growth spurt, and it's only been an inch and a few pounds.. I wouldn't worry so much about the gaining weight part, as I would eating a healthy amount of food in a day. Keep in mind that "average" for children is on the heavy set side (consider how may times you hear that the majority of children are overweight these days..) as long as your two year old is within a fairly normal health range he should be find.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:02 PM on May. 28, 2009

• When we went to the new pediatrician today, she told me he was underweight. and is concerned about food allergies or stomach problems. She wants to see him in a month to check if he's gained weight and if not will send him to a specialist for his stomach. I was kind of surprised she was so concerned because though he is slender, he is also active and healthy.
    Malley

Answer by Malley at 8:19 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Avocado! is a great way to add good healthy fat to a diet. so is a adding just a little olive oil to veggies. Avocado you can add to so many things. You can even use it pureed as a sub for 1/2 the butter in some baking. You can cube it or My DD likes it mashed and spread on a tortilla. If look for it you can find Whole milk yogurts. Edemame (soy beans) is also good. You can buy it already shucked in the frozen food section It has a mild flavor my kids both love it. Also you may want to consider a second opinion if it is an option for you. Keep a log of all the food he eats and whether or not he has a reaction plus his energy level that day. They freaked out about my DD weight for a while and I had to keep a log for but then finally gave in and said that she is 'just petite' she eats well and is developing on schedule. I still try to make sure she is getting a good amount of healthy fats because of her small size
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:55 PM on May. 28, 2009

• My daughter is on pediasure 3x a day and it helps alot, we started at 1x a day and then went up from there. I would maybe see about drinking more of those. Her appetite did go down a bit after drinking that much a day but she is gaining weight perfectly and her pediatrician is happy about it. GL
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 9:55 PM on May. 28, 2009