How do I talk to my Mom about getting a walker or wheelchair that she needs?

It's getting harder for her to stand for any period of time and walk any distance.  I talked to Dad and he said he would talk to her but I think she could use one or  the other to help her mobility.  I know its a BIG step but its one in the right direction.  They havent talked to het doctor yet about her mobility problems.  What should I do?

my3girls750

Asked by my3girls750 at 8:04 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Health

• Perhaps buy her a nice wooden cane - simple, yet practical - not one of those metal ones, and have your dad place it in a closet so when she begins to stumble it will be handy.
    If she isn't ready to face her mobility problem until she falls and hurts herself, then there is nothing anyone can do about it.
    She may see herself as a failure or an invalid everytime she thinks of herself using one of those "old people" walkers that look so institutionalized. If she has that mindset, then I can only imagine the horror she's thinking about a wheelchair.
    I will pray for her that she eventually opens her mind to helpful options such as the cane, to begin with.
    Hugs to you all. ♥
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:29 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I wish I knew a really good answer to this one....we have been trying to get my elderly SIL to use a cane or walker for several years now, but she does not want to. She has fallen and hurt herself many times and I am worried about her.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 1:51 PM on May. 30, 2009