how do u deal when your kids become greedy?

My DD is becoming greedy! she asked when her real party for her b-day was. We threw her a suprise party the other day, with cake ice cream and frineds and presents. She wants more. I am frustrated and said she wasnt getting one. I had planned a small tea-party for next weekend, but not doing it now. SHe had no idea about it, but I feel that will feed the greedy ness

ms_mommy_sue

Asked by ms_mommy_sue at 10:47 AM on Jun. 21, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You're doing the right thing, don't give in. A while back, we were at the mall with my kids and they kept asking for stuff, they wanted to ride the carousel, they wanted to do the bungee jump, the whole time it was just I want I want I want. Originally, we planned to let them do one of the rides, but when they kept on asking, we just said no you're not doing anything now.Money doesn't grow on trees and they can't have everything they want.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 10:53 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Why did she feel that the party she had wasn't her "real" party? You might do well to address the concept of appreciation with her. It isn't enough, sometimes, to simply "stop feeding the greedy eyes". She must gain an understanding of what "enough" means (not just being satisfied withwhat she has, but being HAPPY with it), and only you can teach her that.
    DivaMomCC

Answer by DivaMomCC at 11:06 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• My DD is now 7. She is the same exact way. I know she is way to old to be this way and I am doing all I can do nip it in the bud. I believe it is because she is the second and babied usually. Well now I do exactly what you are doing. I take away special things that she was/is going to get when I notice it. No matter if it is Camp Rock that she wants to watch *last nights episode* or a toy she wants. My DD is greedy with food AND expectations. I get so upset and wonder where I went wrong. Serena (DD) asked me that same question about when her real party was going to be last year! I wanted to cry. As though all I did wasn't enough. =o( Try to be consistant with nipping every single greedy bout in the bud...I know you and I both can cure this nasty little habit. I know that for me it's simply because my kids get too much...to often and then some. *screams* I wish you luck!
    Hugs!
    Shele
    SHELEBELLE

Answer by SHELEBELLE at 4:44 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• How old is she? I agree with you, don't give in to unthankfulness.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:34 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I make my son work for what he gets. Little toys, big toys, special treats, extra stories, dessert, etc. He has a little chore chart and he has to earn points that go towards the things he wants. He also has a wallet and a little piggy bank, so that he can learn that things cost money. Example, he borrows DVDs at the library. He decides he doesn't want to go to the library the day the DVD is due. The next day he wants to go to the library and return the DVD and get a new one. He understands now that when he does that, shirks responsibility, the library fine comes out of his wallet. I move the money from his piggybank into his wallet. He takes the wallet to the library, the librarian tells him the fine, and he pays her out of his pocket.

To appreciate it, kids have to understand it and where it comes from and how hard it is for YOU to get it. Then from there she can learn what it is to earn something and then give it to someone else as a gift.
    lunasmom

Answer by lunasmom at 8:52 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Another thing: my kids have to do chores to earn money. They feed the dogs, run the sweeper, make their beds, wash the breakfast dishes, clear the table, clean up the dog poop from the backyard, sweep the floor. They each get paid $2 a week for their chores. If they do something extra like shoveling snow or pulling weeds, then they get paid more for that. If they want to buy a toy, from yard sales or K-mart, they pay for it with their own money. They pay for Christmas gifts and birthday gifts for Mommy and Daddy and each other with their own money ( we will add a few dollars, but it's mostly their money). Of course, Mommy and Daddy still buy them things sometimes, but over the past few months they've learned how to pay for things on their own and they appreciate them more. When they start singing the "I want" song, we tell them, okay you pay for it. If they want it bad enough they'll pay for it themselves, or they'll realize maybe they don't really want it.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:07 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• My son gets this way too. I always say before we go into a store "We are here to get essentials do not ask for anything because you won't get it."
    That helps sometimes.

We will be starting him on chores/allowance next month after he turns 7. I hope this will instill some worth to the things he has & wants.

Plus there is the mantra I always tell my son whenever he's being too greedy: "You get what you get, and you don't throw a fit!" I say the first part and make him say the last bit so it sticks in his head. That always works.
    Sony_0025

Answer by Sony_0025 at 1:24 PM on Jun. 23, 2008