Do you think you'd still be a Christian if Europeans weren't the first people to conquer America?

I think not. But it's interesting to see other people's take on this subject.

Say a bunch of people from Asia got here first and conquered the Native Americans. Don't you think we would be a Buddhist Nation instead of a Christian Nation?

I asked my mom this, and she looked at me like I had five heads.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 8:10 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well no I don't think that. but then again I believe God had a hand in forming America and we are what His image of us is. I think we are too close to the Latin countries that are very largely Christian (Catholic to be exact) we have many more immigrants to the United States from the Latin countries. These immigrants will bring their religion with them.

Now, if the United States was not open to immigrants we would not be a Christian nation and most of would not live and possibly not even exist because our parents are often not from the same place in Europe. My parents are not even from the same continent. If the Asians got here first this country would not exist as it does. That includes everything not just religion.
    Anonymous

• ...very good question btw and kind of makes you think outside your reality.
    Anonymous

• You have a good point anon :D And thank you, I love thinking in hypothetical terms.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:23 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Good question. But if my ancestors didn't come here, I probably wouldn't be here either : /

hmm . . . I am just thinking.

But I chose to be a Christian when I was 19. I didn't grow up in a Christian home. So I technically could have become a Christian even if I lived in a different country. It was something I decided on my own; I feel like God Himself revealed Himself to me. He didn't need America to do it.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 8:24 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Since I wasn't forced into Christianity, and still embrace it after studying all of the world's religions (although now I also embrace Universalism) I do believe I would be a Christian regardless. Actually, if we want to get specific, my ancestors are mostly Italian, (you have to remember America is made of immigrants, so its not like whoever "got here first" would have implemented their religion on us, especially since most people allow the freedom of religious choice....), who are usually Catholic, so, yeah, I'd still be Christian.
    As for the first reply - the reason the Latin immigrants are Catholic is because of the influence on them by the Europeans who were Catholic - the French and the Spaniards and so forth, so if we're saying the Europeans had never been here I think its safe to say we're assuming they'd never been to Latin America either....Not to be mean/rude, just saying....
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:27 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Nope because Christianity was also in Asia.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:28 PM on May. 28, 2009

• The Chrsitians were NOT the first people here. They just happened to be the only ones willing to kill off all the competition... So, yeah, I would have to say that no other religion would have be able to counter the armies that the english/europeans had. If they wanted this land they would have taken it and killed all in their way - Oh, wait, that's what they did. The fact that there were Natives and even Norse Vikings here didn't ever stop the Europeans from comming in taking over and forceing their religion on everyone. So chances are we would still be a "Christian" nation...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:30 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Not me, but statistically, yes, I think many would be. Here's a better question - would all these people still be Christians if the Romans hadn't converted all their European ancestors at swordpoint (who then came to North and South America and forcibly required all the natives they didn't outright kill to convert) and instead let them continute to practice their "natural born" religions?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:31 PM on May. 28, 2009

• No, I think we would be more of a pagan country. I think that the Native Americans could've forged treaties (that were upheld) with other nations such as Asian or Viking cultures. There were routine visits by these people in our early history with little or no war/bloodshed. I believe this is because the culture was similar between these people. Largely nomadic with tribal rule (as opposed to the European system of a king/one ruler). And their theoligies were also very similar. So, I feel that this country would be a lot different than it is now.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:42 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Just to let you know...not trying to debate bandgeek, Mexico became a Catholic nation within 9 years after the apparition of Our Lady of Guadalupe. Her image is regarded sacred to Mexico and many other Latin countries. I don't doubt the Europeans had some influence but Mexico conversion was because of Our Lady and she still continues to be a reason to keep many Latinos in her grace. Even if you personaly don't believe in the appariations, many do and that is a major factor in their choice of religion.
    Anonymous