Do you think that Christianity would be as popular as it is today if the church had not forced so many in to the beliefs with threats of torture and death?

I mean the Crusades, the witch hunts, and the forcing and killing of many Native cultures around the world all commited in the name of Christianity... If these hadn't happened, would there be more openly "non-believers"??

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 8:34 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe it (Christianity) would exist in a more natural form - meaning more true to the original faith.
    I believe that the Roman Empire greatly distorted and changed Christianity.
    There are denominations/groups/etc that are more true to the original faith, but I believe if the "Church" hadn't been such an immense force we would see more groups/people/etc that are closer to the roots of the religion.
    JMO...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:39 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I agree with bandgeek.

I actually think it is the gruesome history that causes less people to gravitate towards it. It's why the Protestants revolted against Catholicism because they couldn't stand the rules and rituals that placed tradition on the same level as God's word when it was argueable if much of the traditions and causes/crusades actually had God's approval. Many protestants are still today begging for people to see the difference and that we're protestant of the same things that most people dislike about "Christianity!" Protestantism has made marked efforts in trying to get back to a Bible/Spiritual/Relationship aspect of Christianity that we believe Christ originally intended (not that no other group has, I can only speak for my group).
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:44 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Protestants have done their own share of death bringing. Aside from the constant war between Protestants and Catholics, which went on for a very long time and involved attacks from both sides, they were the ones who brought about witch hunts and contributed to the mass slaughter of native Americans. That's not even getting into more recent tragedies like the invasion of the Philippines, which was originally sold to the American people with the argument that the "poor colored savages" needed to be saved from Catholicism.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:49 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I think Christianity wouldn't have become so appealing if the pagans hadn't first abused and tortured Christians. If a group is willing to be killed then it must be appealing.

*you can play this game...but pagans are just as guilty in the evil bully department. It does not make the early Christians right...but the pagans are still wrong.
    Anonymous

• I think Christianity wouldn't have become so appealing if the pagans hadn't first abused and tortured Christians.

There are 200 religions that fall under the adjective "Pagan." The only people who tortured Christians were the Romans, the same ones who continued to torture pagans after they became Christians. Your anger is misplaced there. "Pagans" did not abuse and torture anyone. Unlike Christians, who continued the practice long after the fall of the empire and brought the practice with them to the New World.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:52 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I was about to say...pagans tortured Christians? Where? But NP answered it perfectly like she always does :-B

And I kind of agree with bandgeek on this one. I think it would still exist in a more pure form. I'm sure some people were driven away from Christianity by all the brutal things done in its name.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:55 PM on May. 28, 2009

• read up on history...yep pagans tortured Christians until Constantine stopped it. You can deny it---but it won't make it false.
    Anonymous

2, you really need to work on your vocabulary
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:05 PM on May. 28, 2009

• yes, i think the bully ways of Christianity's past has not only made ppl stay w/ it, but also has added many converts (most notably slaves). i have met so many ppl who are Christians but have no real feelings or thoughts toward Christ or God. they just claim it b/c their family did. i also agree w/ bandgeek in that the Greatest Commands would be more important than not being gay in modern Christianity.

i think in the past few decades ppl (in America) have stopped fearing what others think about them going against the grain. we see it in not only religious views but also race & sexual orientation. i dont remember there being any Pagans or homosexuals when i was a child, but now its "normal" (which is good). we have evolved as a society & (for the most part) do not have to worry about Crusaders & Witch Hunts & Inquistitians or even our neighbors coming in the night to kill b/c our beliefs dont coincide.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:12 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Actually, yes I can agree with anon - there are instances in history where pagans tortured/persecuted Christians.
    In "The Story of Christianity: An Illustrated History of 2000 years of the Christian Faith", it says that while the first ones to persecute Christians were Jews (like Paul), "the great majority of martyrs, however, were victims of pagan persecution" p34 (pagan can mean, however any belief not in the Abrahamic faiths, so nonChristian Rome could fit that description, and nonChristian Rome probably was on the forefront of the persecution)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:12 PM on May. 28, 2009