Why do women stay in abusive relationships?

violaswamp

Asked by violaswamp at 8:47 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• A lot of it has to do with the fact that the abuse is so gradual they don't even realize they're being abused. Now from the outside looking in we're like "WTF? What does she think she's doing staying with him?" But by the point other people start to notice she probably has no self esteem left and thinks she has to stay with him. JMO
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 8:51 PM on May. 28, 2009

• In sum: Stupidity, low self esteem, and ignorance
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 8:50 PM on May. 28, 2009

• She hasn't anywhere else to go? It's sad. I was in one at the age of 18 and I got away. Thank god I never had any kids with the idiot.
    sweetmom1007

Answer by sweetmom1007 at 8:58 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Low self esteem mainly. They feel they deserve to be treat abusively and it's their fault. By the time they realize they are being abused they are so totally brain washed and beaten down they feel they are trapped with no where to go.
    twilite2000

Answer by twilite2000 at 9:01 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Some women get themselves in a situation where they cannot bring themselves to go to a shelter, but have nowhere else to go. I think somewhere along the line they learned that perhaps it is ok or that they deserve it. I can understand this to a point. What I cannot for the life of me fathom is why they stay when the abuse is turned on their children. I will take a lot of shit compared to some, but let any asshole mess with my kids...I will not be held responsible for what happens next.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:21 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I think sometimes the man has the woman too scared to leave, he makes her feel like nobody wants her and that she's useless, he sometimes threatens to kill her if she leaves, and like the others said she may feel like she has nowhere else to go.
    mommyBrooke849

Answer by mommyBrooke849 at 10:23 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Because they believe they deserve the abuse and that they aren't worth better.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 12:32 AM on May. 29, 2009