What would you do if someone approached your child and the other children at a playground and tried to convert them to their religion?

I was watching the documentary Jesus Camp earlier. The evangelical pentecostal pastor in it said she could "go to any playground and tell the children about Jesus and God, and within minutes, they'd be speaking in tongues and hearing God."

I for one would be infuriated! I can't believe anyone would think that's acceptable. It doesn't matter if the person is a Christian, or a Muslim, or an atheist. I don't think it's right to target children like that.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 8:50 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i wouldn't have this problem because i would be right there with my child. however if by chance it did occur, i would probably be upset...but then again it would give me an opportunity to address some things with my child and or the person
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 8:51 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I think I would lose it. Not because I'm against people talking to others about their belief systems, but really? I'm the parent, you'd better damned well talk to me instead of my child.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 8:53 PM on May. 28, 2009

• My problem would not be with the person trying to convert them, although they would be told quite clearly that we are happy the way we are, but my problem would be with a complete stranger feeling that he/she has the right to approach my child at all, for any reason. I don't like people trying to convert other people, regardless of religion, but to me, the real problem with that situation is someone thinking it is ok for them to approach a child they don't know.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:54 PM on May. 28, 2009

• She will be speaking in tongues after I bit the crap out of her for being so stupid and ignorant polluting my child's brain with her crap. It is no different than giving a child pornography in a play ground and calling it sex education. It is way out of line and I saw the documentary, I wanted to vomit these fanatics know no limits. Probably I wouldn't bit her but I would call the cops on her for harassment of a minor and I would get restrain orders, I will keep those lunatic away from my kid at all cost.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 8:54 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Reason 186 to get my kid into Karate as soon as possible
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:04 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I wouldn't have a problem with it, as I plan on educating my child/ren about all religions and they'll be informed/educated enough to have their own beliefs/opinions/etc that other people will not be able to sway, because they will be their own beliefs/opinions/etc, and they will be what they honestly believe, as opposed to something I just tell them to believe.
    I also wouldn't mind talking with my child after the fact, even IF it "gets to them" so that we can work out their opinions/beliefs about the incident together.
    IMO, education is the best weapon, and even if something like that were to happen it would be a learning experience.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:05 PM on May. 28, 2009

• That or, since I would probably be right there as well, I'd scare her off without meaning to because of my unorthodoxies and "crazy' beliefs, lol.
    bandgeek521

• Please don't let the Evangelical Pennecostals give the rest of us a bad name. I can't stand that particular belief system any more than anyone else can.

I think it's creepy to approach someone's kids. Period. Regardless of what it is about. If she came to talk to me, she wouldn't as far as she thinks she would. I don't believe in tongues and prophecy the way that they do and don't have a whole lot of tolerance for it or the way that it's typically presented to people.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:06 PM on May. 28, 2009

• i would have a talk with that child parents and tell them to stop i will raise my daughter how and what religion she is intill she is 18 then she can choice for herself
    Anonymous

• I think it's creepy to approach someone's kids. Period. Regardless of what it is about.

That's more what my answer was about. We had a weird guy following us around the grocery store this weekend. Freaked me out enough that I had security walk me to the car. Under normal circumstances, I'd write him off as generic crazy, but I had the kid with me. IMO if you're going to repeatedly approach someone who has made it clear in no uncertain terms they want nothing to do with you AND they have a little kid with them, you are severely crossing a line. Same goes for anyone who would approach a group of strange kids for any reason.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:11 PM on May. 28, 2009