Do you think ADD/ADHD is over diagnosed?

Personally I don't feel half the children on meds for it really have it. I'm not saying that they are not real conditions and I know that medication is necessary in SOME situations.. but these days every time I turn around I see another child being drugged. So a child likes to run around like crazy.. how about trying to find activities to let them run off that energy. So they don't pay enough attention in school and don't grasp the concepts as easy and fast as others... why not try tutors or one of the million programs they have to help. I know a couple mothers who IMO have their children medicated simply cause it makes them easier to deal with. Am I alone in this way of thinking?

Lovejoy0303

Asked by Lovejoy0303 at 8:59 PM on May. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• Over diagnosed and overmedicated. A child should be given amphetamines as a last resort, not because doctors are lazy and parents do what doctors tell them to do unquestioningly. There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local libraray, though you may want to buy a copy for the mom (and the step son); there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. Parents can clean up kids diets, either on their own or by following the Feingold diet: www.feingold.org. Parents can give their children fish oil supplements.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:09 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I think the same way.

It is easier and more convenient in today's world to medicate your child rather than deal with them. Its sick.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 9:07 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Yes. I think parents should try dietary changes, more activities, and learning at home before they let their kid get medicated. PLUS I have heard far too many horror stories of schools pushing parents to medicate their kids so they're easier to deal with. NOT what the meds were made for in the first place.
    guitarlove

Answer by guitarlove at 9:12 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Absolutely. What kills me are that teachers are reccomending the meds in our area. These are the same twits who took elementary ed in college so they wouldn't have to take calculus and went into public education because they wouldn't have to pass a drug test.
    Allison_17

Answer by Allison_17 at 9:12 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I totally agree with you, and I even have ADD I have my entire life, have done lots of research on it too, but now I think its just the first thing doctors go to when they have a child that is active or has a hard time understanding things, its like they have no other suggestions on what to do or how to deal with it.
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 9:20 PM on May. 28, 2009

• i think that parents and teachers alike have no idea what children really need in there lives, so when they get frustrated with how a child behaves in stead of dealing with it they medicate the child.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 9:23 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Well I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this... its just so frustrating to watch.
    Lovejoy0303

Answer by Lovejoy0303 at 9:28 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I think pediatricians can be very irresponsible when prescribing medication. They should never prescribe meds after one office visit and a parents description of the child's behavior, yet I see it all the time. Then the medication isn't monitored properly. When you see a doctor handle it correctly it's a very extensive process.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 9:52 PM on May. 28, 2009

• i sooo agree- my stepsons mother didt want him to begin with- when she found out she was pregnant she told my fiance that if he didnt marry her she would abort- then when the kid hit 2 she divorced him and took his son away for 2 yrs- the next time he saw him the boy was drugged up on ritalin and the mom said it was because he was adhd- the meds messed him up so much he wasnt able to act normal talk normal or anything- now hes 18 and he gets into soooo much trouble because she raised him on all different types of meds- the most recent abilify- and we just got him off of that- now his school (he goes to a special ed school) wants him back on the meds because they dont know how to deal with him- im like ok isnt this why we sent him to u? because u "specialize" in educating these special needs kids? not doping them up until they r lifeless zombies! makes me sick and i dont care wut a dr says- i would never put my kids on meds
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 10:01 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I do NOT agree, The reason it seems that there are more kids with ADHD is because of research and diagnostic tools. I am the one that had to push to get my son diagnosised and medicated,not his teacher and not his doctor. His doctor wanted to wait. My son is nowhere near a zombie on his meds,as a matter of fact, he is the same sweet loving boy that he was before, the only difference is that he can concentrate at school. His grades went from D's and F's to A's and B's. His self esteem is better and he thanked me for getting him help because now he doesn't feel like is brain is going to explode because it was working too fast. My son is seen by his doctor every 3 months, it is required in order to get the prescription. I do whatever is best for my son and if that means medicating him, than that is what happens. The meds worked for him and I will not go through what I did before the meds, it is just not watching your child cry

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:36 PM on May. 28, 2009