• In the Spotlight:

Would you be here?

If the scenarios in either of those two other questions happened - Europe didn't colonize the US first, or Rome didn't forcibly convert Europe, do you think you still would've been born?

I think there's a chance I could've. All my ancestors are from a very concentrated Germanic area, even if they were technically different countries by the time they came here.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 9:15 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• even as a kid I was awed by the odds of any of my or any of us (as individuals ) being here!!! I mean that one egg that one month and that one in a million sperm to get YOU!! I'm here, it comes down to what if the didn't have sex on the right time of themonth? what if my mom married someone else I wouldn't be here...
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 11:13 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Heh, that's a good question. I think I would be the first one. Most of my family comes from the UK, I only have a few lines from Germany and the Netherlands.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:18 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I dont think what happens with countries or civilizations stops God from doing what he wants to do. So no, I dont think that would have stopped anyones birth.
    Anonymous

• nope, I am a direst decedent of a mayflower family. Also I am French and English.
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 9:25 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I'm a believer that if you remove one speck of dust from existance, the universe would collapse (ie. everything is built on everything else, no matter how insignificant it seems.) So I think that the likelihood of my conception being unchanged by a major change of history is probably pretty remote! When you think about it, the likelihood of anyone being here is so slim, predicated on the likelihood of that one sperm meeting that one egg... the odds against us being the person conceived were astronomical to begin with and any tiny change could alter things enough to lead to another individual being conceived in our place. Weird!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:28 PM on May. 28, 2009

• nope...God made sure he made the clock play out so I would be here.
    Anonymous

• Yep because I was born in England.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:35 PM on May. 28, 2009

• there could a good chance since my gfather is scandinavia and my gmother was born in poland...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:37 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I had lots of chances...I am German, Irish, Italian, Indian, and Welsh. One of those had to make it.
    PA-PAGrandma

Answer by PA-PAGrandma at 10:28 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Probably not. My Mom is Italian and my Dad Polish. I don't think they would have met.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on May. 29, 2009