What do you think of large families?

I am 22 my hubbys 27 and we have four kids a 6 yr old 4 yr old twins an almost 2 yr old and one due in january. I love being in a big family I am one of 15 kids my husband is one of 17. So we are shooting for big. We live on a Navajo Reservation, and are surrounded by family.

But I have noticed comments and stares when in public with all my kids.

So I was wondering what do you think of large families?

navajomomoflot

Asked by navajomomoflot at 9:31 PM on May. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think you should go for it if thats what you want. But i also feel that if you want a family that large then you need to be able to provide for them. I know alot of people have large famalies so they can keep on the state assistance. Thats when i think that its wrong. But hell go for it!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 9:36 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I look at them and think to myself "Damn they must have something interesting going on every second of the day"....It must be fun to have a big family!!
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 9:36 PM on May. 28, 2009

• If they're not on any kind of public assistance, then to each it's own.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 9:36 PM on May. 28, 2009

• If u can afford it and they r not on welfare- people dont want their tax dollars used to pay for some lady to keep poping out babies- but if u r a good mom and finacially responsibly I dont think anyone can tell u its wrong- do not let rude stares get to you- u live ur life to make u happy- not strangers.
    Anonymous

• my fiance is the youngest of 2 boys and im the oldest of 4 girls, his mom and my mom both came from large families, and now were following suit- he has 2 kids from a previous relationship and i have 1 from a previous relationship and we have 2 together and 1 on the way so thats 6 all together and to tell u the truth- i love it! and were not done yet- people will say to us that we need to get a tv or something lol and then i get the rude people- complete strangers tell me to get my tubes tied already- i just want to smack them in their faces but all i do is smile and say- not til we hit 20! i dont want that many but i say it for the look of shock on their faces lmao- i hate when people think its weird that my fiance and i have and want a big family- dont they remember that God said go out be fruitful and multiply? lol
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 9:53 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I think if you can afford them and love them then HAVE FUN makin babies!
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:53 PM on May. 28, 2009

• On one hand, I admire large families for the community that is instantly there and all the fun growing up. Having my own kids now, I wonder, "Can they pay for them, will these kids go to college, how are the parents able to spend quality time with each child? Or do the older siblings really raise the younger? Do the parents ever go on vacation or take a much needed break? Are the kids bathed, well fed and who is looking over their homework and taking them to all their activities? Is the home clean, do they have healthcare. Those are my concerns now. I know a family with several kids and the Mom just can't hold it together.
    Anonymous

• i am on no form of PA thankfully my hubby makes enough and we live on old family land on a navajo reservation. I consider myself beyond blessed on that front
    navajomomoflot

Answer by navajomomoflot at 10:34 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I have a large family, 7 plus one on the way (a big oop's), it is challenging but I wouldn't have it any other way, I agree that so long as the parents can care them then it is nobodies buisness.

As to people who stare, I must admit I see a large family and think "dang they have a lot of kids" and then usually laugh at myself, I just don't see 'my' family as large but if I think about it I have more kids then the people I am thinking that about. I have never noticed a lot of stares though. But where I live large families aren't uncommon.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:40 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I have nothing against it as long as your not on any type of PA and each child gets enough attention and love. Time with both parents. Oh is it not right when older siblings are raising younger siblings.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:44 PM on May. 28, 2009