Ask a teenager!

Hi all! I'm a teen mom who will remain anonymous for many reasons, and I was wondering if you had any questions about what teens think, how they think or how they respond to things in general. Though I'm a devoted mom, I'm still pretty in tune with my teen counterparts.

For the record, I'm about to be 18.

I'll answer questions in the order they're received.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Oh! I also have a 12 year old sister, so I know a lot about that age group too.
    Anonymous

• This is nice of you.... : }
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 9:47 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I am here to help :D
    Anonymous

• So when you teens take the dishes out of the dishwasher and there is dried on food and they obviously need to be rewashed WHY you do put them away??? Why don't you clean off the food and then put them away? Or at least put them back on the counter for someone else to wash.

Also why is it so hard for teens to remember to put laundry soap in the washer when they start a load? Also with cold and warm wash clothes! Is it so hard to read the label and not wash them together?

And sweeping!! Do you guys purposely only sweep the middle of the floor and not do the edges?
    Anonymous

• Rofls.

I see a lot of the dish thing, I've even seen almost all of my friends guilty of that one.. We do it because we have things we'd rather do than dishes like T.V. or a video game or the computer or the phone, and could really not give a rats ass if we're eating salad out of a bowl caked with last nights quiche.

Laundry I don't see often..if anything I see teens put too much in there because they want to smell nice..You must have a son?? lol.

Again with the,"I have better things to do" problem, we figure you guys won't check around the edges..

Good way to break it: Start a small allowance to be divvied out every week, be consistent; it doesn't have to be anything big, just something! If you find laundry messed up, food caked, floor unswept, take 25% off of it.

Anonymous

• You are almost 18 and you're a Mom. Gosh I am proud of you. This is NOT easy for you. Bless your boots ! This is a time when most teens are self centered and everything revolves around them. But you have to do what's best for your baby first. You have had to grow up hard & fast.
    Just, pleaz remember if you ever get fed up or sick of your baby that their are others out there who'll be more than happy to give you a little break. ( I think Moms need time - outs more than the kids do ! God bless you. You are brave !
    CoMoMomof4teens

Answer by CoMoMomof4teens at 12:25 AM on May. 29, 2009

• ...Well..Thanks..lol..

I take time away from my baby. Sometimes my mom will watch my daughter for me and I'll go out, she watches her for me when I go to school during the day, but other than that it's all baby time.

And I love every second of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I don't need to ask you the questions for you to answer. I have 3 kids (2 of which are teens) and THEY KNOW EVERYTHING!!
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 3:15 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Ok, why does my 18 yr old DD get so upset when I try to talk to her about the future, what she will do in college etc. She doesn't know what she wants to study and that is ok at this point. But she feels so picked on if I mention the future and what she wants to do with her life. She is a late bloomer, just got her license this year. Why is she so upset and wanting to avoid the topic?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:36 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Salexander, it's either because she wants to do something she thinks will displease you or disappoint you.

Maybe she doesn't want to further her education! And she's scared to tell you, she thinks it'll make you angry at her, she thinks you'll be ashamed to call her your own.

Maybe she feels she's not smart enough to go to college, or can't afford it.

I'd REALLY recommend telling her if she gets mad, that you're going to support her in whatever she decides to do because you love her. She may feel better enough to talk to you further.
    gabrielle_x

Answer by gabrielle_x at 5:34 PM on May. 29, 2009