Horrid temper tantrums! *HELP*

My one year old has started throwing a lot of tantrums when she doesn't get her way. She's resorted to punching herself in the head and slamming her head onto the floor. I've tired everything I can to stop this. Has any moms had the problem. Her doctor seems to think its just a phase and will pass, but in the mean time what do I do? Let her beat the hell out of herself? I'm so scared, worried, and it's just driving me insane. Please help me!

Evasmommy11708

Asked by Evasmommy11708 at 9:47 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is very much a phase, she is looking for independence, of course we know they just aren't ready yet and that Pisses them off. Comletely normal.

I would place her in timeout and let her beat herself up, they never hurt themselves to bad, she has learned that if she get's mean you will try to calm her down, even if she isn't getting what she wants she is getting some attention. Keep at it, persistance is key!
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:47 PM on May. 28, 2009

• it's a phase. my son tried to do tantrums. the first one was at a store. we just stood around him and carried on a conversation, within a minute he stopped looked up at us and I said "are you done now?" point is they are trying to get attention, and when they don't get it for being bad (cause bad attention is still attention) they soon they stop.
    northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 7:48 AM on May. 29, 2009

• My oldest went through this phase, he would throw hisself against the floor , I mean you could hear him screaming outside of our apartments with the windows and doors closed and he would scream for close to an hour. I started making sure there was nothing around for him to get hurt on and video tape him, for about 5 minutes, then I would plug up our video camera to out T.V and play it and tell him look how you are acting, and within minutes he would stop.
    rebel_momma

Answer by rebel_momma at 3:29 AM on May. 31, 2009