So why are so many parents with vaccinated kids up in arms over other parents NOT vaccinating theirs?

I think it's stupid for people who have vaccinated children to throw fits and bash parents whose children are not vaccinated. So...If your kids are vaccinated, you're basically assuming your vax'ed kids aren't really protected then if they come in contact with unvax'ed kids.. Make sense? So why is this such a problem?? I'm just searching for a straight answer...

mamajody0507

Asked by mamajody0507 at 9:47 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Because they believe that there is a certain percentage of people that the vaccines don't work in, and that if everyone is vaccinated, those people are protected by default. It's called "herd immunity" ... the idea is that everyone has a responsibility to take on the risk of vaxing to protect those who can't be vaccinated, or in whom the vax fails.

I personally think herd immunity is a faulty and false concept, but I can see that for someone who buys into it, the idea that growing numbers of children are not being vaccinated would be inherently alarming.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 9:55 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Well I see it from both sides, but I think it's a problem because your kids have to have them if they go to daycare or if you get your child's ear's pierce and when they go to school they have to have them done. In my opinion I see it as since they have to have them in the future might as well get them use to them now, so they know the routine. Honestly I don't see why anyone wouldn't want to protect their children from the flu or any other virus that is out there. If you don't get your child vaccinated and you keep them from getting sick that is great but they still have to get them in the future for school and if you ever plan on sending them to daycare. But again I see it from both sides, if you don't get them vax'd that's fine it's your child and if you do that's fine as well. I don't think anyone should be butting into other people's business and calling them bad parents.
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 9:53 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I don't care if someone does not vax there children or if someone does. I see it as there own personnel choose.

itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 9:58 PM on May. 28, 2009

• VasquezFamily I get your concept.....but also kids aren't required to be vaccd to attend school. There are ways around that. The amount of chemicals that are put into a tiny 2 week old baby is the same amount that is put into a 3,4,5,etc year old child. Those extra 30 pounds or so is a HUGE difference when all you weigh is 40 pounds. I am not completely against shots, but I think they are done too early and too close together. I have put off shots with my kids and it didn't make a single difference to have their shots started at 3 years old instead of 2 weeks old. The one thing different though is that none of my kids have had to attend daycare so it was ok in our situation to put off the shots until their body is much bigger and better equipped to handle the chemicals.

Anonymous

• Because they care not just about their own children but the community as a whole. When vaccination rates drop it's easier for a disease to enter a community and affect people like those who are too young to be vaccinated, those with immune disorders that can't be vaccinated, the elderly, and the like. Plus vaccination is not 100% effective (nothing is) so there's a chance that even a vaccinated child could catch the disease.
    Anonymous

• I selectively vax. I think the reason so many people are getting upset over parents not immunizing their children is because of the recent outbreaks of diseases that we haven't seen in years. If your 2 year old is at the playground, or a playgroup with my child that is under 12 months, and your child contracts and then infects my infant that hasn't had a chance to get a vaccine it is very upsetting. It is dangerous to the community for you to not vaccinate. I think that there are too many people that jump on the "natural" bandwagon without doing thorough research. To many it has become "trendy" to not vax.

twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 1:22 AM on May. 29, 2009

• My kids never had a vaccination at 2 weeks. Their first vaccination wasn't until 2 months.

"There are ways around that" And this is why some who vaccinate accuse those who don't of finding "loopholes" in the system by abusing the exemptions policy of the schools.

Vaccinations do not provide immunity. They provide protection against. The disease can still be contracted and an unvaccinated child raises the possibility of even a vaccinated child contracting the disease. (although the vaccinated child is more likely to have a lighter case of the disease)

If one thinks a vaccinated child is totally protected that one is not as educated as they think they are. If one thinks their unvaccinated child is protected because he/she is surrounded by vaccinated children, they are WRONG and not as educated as they think they are.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I do vax. My reason for being alarmed of the growing "trend" to not vax, like the pp said is the rise is dieases we haven't seen in years that are harmful to unborn, newborn, and elderly. The community! I also think the only reason you feel safe enough to skip protection for these shots is due to the fact it hasn't been around in a while THANKS to the rest of us doing our presponcable job of vax.
    And just like another pp said. "You have to for school." I know there are "loophole" that you can lie and get around, but many parents still assume they are sending their child to a vaxed school without knowing you worked around the system to possible share something we don't want.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I think Autism fears have alot to do with the trend right now......I have a daughter who has aspergers...I personally dont believe that her vaccines had anything at all to do with this...she never had any regression or reactions from her shots and she has had all her vaccines.
    Yes you can get around the schools requirements for the shots...you just get a medical waiver
    but I do feel that if enough parents dont vaccinate we are going to see a return of things like polio and viruses do mutate if they are given the opportunity.....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 11:57 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Because if enough people stop vaccinating their kids these dieseases that were eradicated so long ago will come back, and thats just stupid. I am sorry but there has been more than enough evidence to prove vaccinations are fine, hello we all took the exact same ones as our kids and we are fine. Why don't some of you people go talk to a person old enough to remember when babies dying from the whooping cough was a regular occurance, or children being paralized from polio and being in iron lungs. I am sorry but an irrational fear of something is in no way worth my child dying from a disease that can be stopped. plus even IF the vaxes caused autism, I would take my child having autism over my child dying anyday.
    Anonymous