do u know?

what is the age that a library will give a child a library card? And what do you need for proof of residence?

lovelyli217

Asked by lovelyli217 at 9:47 PM on May. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I know here (in Oklahoma) we got my son's when he was 4, he had a thing at his preschool abou tthe public library and he just had to be old enough to write his name with help. I had to sign something though saying I was responsible for his stuff he checked out and anything damaged or not returned would be billed to me.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 9:51 PM on May. 28, 2009

• ok, but i homeschool my kids- do they only get the first library cards through school or can i take them on my own? i know they would love to have the responsibility of going to the library and picking out their own books with their own cards- my oldest is 5 and my middle is going to be 4 in august- and they both know how to sign their names (my middle with the help of me saying the letters for him, lol) but i know that this would help build their love of reading if we can get the cards
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 10:25 PM on May. 28, 2009

• You should be able to go right to the library to do it, and an ID should be plenty! Some libraries will ask to see the children's birth certificate too, and you almost always have to sign a paper stating that you are responsible for what is checked out on their cards. Your best best would be to give your local library a call! :)
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 10:29 PM on May. 28, 2009

• i really don't know what the starting age but my daughter has one shes 4 and i only remember showing a picture id.
    michmm03

Answer by michmm03 at 11:05 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I think my son got his when he was about 4 or 5 yrs old and the school didn't do it. I took him to the library on my own. All I had to do was show my picture id. You will be responsible for any fines or ruined books your child checks out.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:28 PM on May. 28, 2009

• My mom got me a library card when I was four. They didn't require any school involvement-heck, they WANT people to read, the earlier the better! ^_^ I think you can just go ahead and get them library cards yourself.
    Guaranteed

Answer by Guaranteed at 11:39 PM on May. 28, 2009

• At our library, the child needs to be at least four years old. You don't need school affiliation, just go ask the librarian.

Our public library has a website...perhaps yours does too, and perhaps you could email a librarian if your answer is not found on their site.
    lilacs.in.bloom

Answer by lilacs.in.bloom at 1:18 PM on May. 29, 2009

• My 2 year old has one. I signed his and accepted responiblities for his books
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:17 PM on May. 29, 2009

• age two and all you need is your SSC
    Evasmommy11708

Answer by Evasmommy11708 at 4:23 PM on Jun. 1, 2009