• In the Spotlight:

could i really lose my son for a dumbass reason?

i was just told by a family member (from england, so idk if it is different over there) that the father of my child could take me to court and get custody because of the type of relationship im in. im seeing a intersex person, and in the eyes of the law its a lesbian relationship. and i know that with him my son would be in a happy stable healthy home and with his real father it would be the complete opposite and idk what to do you, im considering adoption because i think putting my child through that kind of segregation would be selfish, but i realy dont know what to do. if anybody has any advice it is greatly appreciated.

Mommy_2_B09

Asked by Mommy_2_B09 at 9:54 PM on May. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• Stay in the USA ( I dont know Englands laws) If u have a good lawyer the Dad cant take custody away- u have to be a bad Mom or drug user or abusive, or be living with someone who is a abusive person or drug user- not because of sexual prefrence, but call a lawyer and ask any way to put ur mind at ease.
    Anonymous

• I assume you are still pregnant since you said you are considering adoption? I do know if you go that rout they will have to ask the father if he wants the baby and he will have to sign over rights to be able to give the baby up for adoption. Other than that I am not sure about the relationship thing. I havent ever heard of anything like that before, and I don't THINK it could happen, but thats not to say if he knows about it he might not try to. I wouldnt worry to much though, and dont tell him about it he may not even think of something like that. I do know that it is legal for same sex couples to adopt children in most states so I dont think they can take a baby away because of a same sex relationship.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:00 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I don't think would want the political backlash of taking your child.
    Anonymous

• opps..... don't think a judge....think faster than I type.
    Anonymous

• op, it depends on where in the country you live and the kind of judge you get. Could it happen, possibly, yes. Likely, prob. not. Dad would have to take you to court and you can fight it off and can make them have to prove you unfit.
    In some parts of the country with some judges, yes it can happen. But overall as long as you're good parents you should be fine.
    Don't know in what way you are thinking about adoption. For your partner to adopt the father would have to relinquish all rights either by signing a paper and/or being out of the child's life for x amount of years and you'd have to petetion the courts.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:29 PM on May. 28, 2009

• No child should be ever taken away ever based solely on the fact that they have same sex ""custodial" parents. This world is scary how strangers can decide if you are worthy to care for the creatures you gave birth to.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:29 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I don't think a child will be taken away in the situation that you have described. As long as you are providing a safe and loving home and the child is being fed and clothed and loved, there shouldn't be an issue.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:27 PM on May. 28, 2009

• It's not true.

Don't let them make you scared.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 11:33 PM on May. 28, 2009

• They let same sex couples adopt in some states. I don't think they will even look at this as a reason to take your baby. Like others I don't know what your talking about when you say adoption. Are thinking about giving your baby up for adoption or allowing your partner to adopt the baby? If your partners birth certificate claims female then you will have to liv ein a state that allows same sex couples to adopt, I think. But, don't give your baby completey up for adoption because of this bullcrap. Don't worry about your baby being taken either. No judge will touch that case.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:44 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Sadly, there are states where this is true.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:42 AM on May. 29, 2009