What's your opinion on speaking in tongues/interpreting tongues?

Are there any Christian denominations that think the whole tongues thing is complete and utter nonsense, or is it a universally accepted thing?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 9:57 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe it is scriptural & relevant for today. As far as I know only the Pentecostal denominations agree that it is scriptural & for today with a few people in other denominations agreeing with it. In general, Baptists, Methodists, Lutherans etc. don't practice it.

Anonymous

• I'm not comfortable with people going into "trances" and not knowing what they are saying. Yeah, I get that the people who have experienced it have "deep spiritual feelings", but ask any of them if they can translate what they are saying, and you'll hear lots of "It doesn't matter what I'm saying, because the lord has filled me with holy spirit" blah, blah, blah. I just don't get it, and I am a Christian.
    Anonymous

• Truthfully, I don't know much about speaking in tongues and I am a Christian. Where I'm from, the Church of God is the denomination where that happens. I have a friend that goes to church there, and she says you can just be standing there and the holy spirit comes over you and you start speaking in tongues. She says she's even seen grown men running the tops of pews and never falling or slipping. I've always wondered about it also. From my experience with my friend, it's just something she can't really explain. I've always wanted to know if we're SUPPOSED to speak in tongues, then why doesn't ALL religions speak in tongues. However, I do know that the Bible states (I'm not sure where) that God told the people not to stop someone from speaking in tongues. So........if you get a good answer, let me know too.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 10:08 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Its fun, try it sometime...
    Anonymous

• My Fiance went to a school/church that spoke in tongues.

He told me he did it often, but only because he wanted to feel like he belonged and like God loved him too..

I have a feeling that's what damn near close to 101% of these babblers feel too.

A desire to feel special.

This is coming from a Christian.
    gabrielle_x

Answer by gabrielle_x at 10:14 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I've always belonged to a church that believes in speaking in tongues. I grew up pentecostal and now i'm at a non-denominational church. Speaking in tongues doesn't make mean ur more loved or a better Christian. Some ppl aren't comfortable doing it. Some ppl do it at church. Some ppl do it at home. There's the gift of tongues and interpretation. Most pentecostal denominations believe in speaking in tongues, some baptist (i.e. full gospel), and some non-denoms. It's an individual thing and if someone or a church makes u feel bad that u don't speak in tongues then they are wrong to do that.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 10:29 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Foolishness and it has no place in a christian congregation in my opinion.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 10:30 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I went to a class at a baptist church about talking in tounges and if it was a "gift" or not. If I reacall, the question was left open but was leaning toward not. The reason being is that a "translator" of some sort was neede or that others could ot understand the mesage the person being spoken through was given. The gist of the argument against was that a heavenly gift would not be so secret and God's message would be one for all to hear and understand without a translator. This seemed a pretty reasonable arguement to me. They went on to postulate that it could be a device of the devil, which seemed les reasonable. There is also the theory that this is auto-hypnosis or mass hallucination.

I know the phenomenon exists and that many people believe that the Holy Spirit is speaking through them. I have visited a church where this took place and it was certainly an experience. I'm Presbyterian, we don't talk in tounges
    Allison_17

Answer by Allison_17 at 10:41 PM on May. 28, 2009

• He explains MUCH better. You all should read

http://www.tbm.org/tongues.htm
    Evasmommy11708

Answer by Evasmommy11708 at 11:00 PM on May. 28, 2009

• The church I attend does not support speaking in tongues. They believe it ended with the apostles. Personally I've never experienced it, and have never heard anyone speak in tongues. But, I do believe it does still exist. I have had 3 different people tell me they've experienced it and I have no reason to not believe them.
    Just because I've not experienced it does not mean it doesn't exist. I honestly do not see any biblical support for the idea that it does not exist anymore.
    rosiecotton

Answer by rosiecotton at 11:22 PM on May. 28, 2009