• In the Spotlight:

Can I drink more than 1 cup of coffee if I am breastfeeding?

How will it affect my baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My doc said its fine but some "cups" are much bigger than a cup.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 9:59 PM on May. 28, 2009

• yes you can.... just dont be surprised if baby wont sleep.... it is otherwise not harmful to baby
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:03 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Have you ever seen the character tweek on South Park...just let that image sink in for a moment then go make yourself some de-caf herbal tea, just as yummy and satisfying. (yeah right, and so is stevia if you are trying to cut down on sugar...blech!)

Honestly, there are some pretty tasty instant coffee flavors that are good and have less caffine than nice freshly ground, french pressed, mmmm...I digress having given up coffee for the duration...any way, General Food International makes a couple of tasty flavors. Also, my boss used to make me "milky coffee" . Sweet as you like it, one part coffee three parts milk, not bad. I'd stay away from the chocolate covered esspresso beans if I were you, though.

Wow, I did not answer your question at all. My general rule is, if I have to ask if it's good for my baby, chances are I shouldn't have it.
    Allison_17

Answer by Allison_17 at 10:11 PM on May. 28, 2009

• It's fine, as long as you don't notice any negative effects. I know my children had no problem with it, and I drink a LOT of coffee.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:12 PM on May. 28, 2009

• You can. I drink 2 - 3 a day. Normally 2 in the morning and 1 in the evenings. I try to alternate what I'm drinking though. Like a sip of coffee, sip of water sort of thing. That way it gets a little diluted. If your baby has problems sleeping try cutting it back or doing half decaf/half regular. HTH
    blogginmomma

Answer by blogginmomma at 10:13 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I feel like wile breastfeeding it is a lot similar to being pregnant because you still have to wtch what you eat, medicine you take and activities you do. Breastfeeding for me has helped me cope with not being pregnant and it is a very good thing. I drink coffe but I just try to limit it. Good luck
    HeidilovesNyla

Answer by HeidilovesNyla at 10:15 PM on May. 28, 2009

• This is a very common question for nursing moms. Some women have given up coffee during their pregnancy and are looking forward to the time that they can safely enjoy coffee again. It is recommended that nursing moms drink no more than five cups of coffee (with caffeine) per day. Make sure to count all sources of caffeine, such as teas, soft drinks, pain relievers, stimulants and chocolate (which produces the same effect as caffeine). If a nursing mom consumes more than five cups of coffee a day it could accumulate in her baby's system, resulting in overstimulation. This may cause wakefulness and irritability in the baby.

The caffeine in one cup of coffee per day should pose no problem for your baby. If you suspect he is affected by your caffeine intake you can abstain for a week or so and observe any changes. Enjoy!
    Evasmommy11708

Answer by Evasmommy11708 at 10:44 PM on May. 28, 2009

• How old is your baby? It really depends on the age of your baby. The younger the baby, the more caffeine affects them, and the longer it takes their body to break it down. For example, in a two week old, the half life of caffeine is 90 hours (meaning it takes 90 hours for them to process HALF of it), versus a 6 month old, for whom the half life is 2.5 hours. (see "Medications and Mother's Milk by Dr. Thomas W. Hale) Personally, once my son hit 2 months, I was having half-caff lattes here and there (no more than one a day), and I went to full caff by about 6 months (but that's only 2 shots a day). He doesn't seem to be affected by it. The more you space it out, the better, and the longer you wait from the time you have caffeine to when you nurse, the better (since your body is better able to process it than your baby).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:14 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I drinik 1-2 cups a day and my baby doesn't seem to be affected. I drank this much when pregnant though, so maybe she's just used to it.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:59 PM on May. 29, 2009