Formula in the 1970's? (No formula bashing please...this is a "Just For Fun" Question!!)

I'm not trying to start a silly "formula is poison" discussion please.

I was just wondering what moms in the 70's used for formula? Was Enfamil and Similac around back then? I'd ask my mother, but she passed away a few years ago. I know she didn't breastfeed, so I'm guessing she used some sort of formula...

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I was fed formula (I think it was Enfamil) until I was about 3-6 months old and then I was on 2% milk. I was born in 1971. My son, who was born in 1996, was on 2% milk by 8 months old and before that formula (i think it was Similac) and he is also a very healthy 13 year old.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:31 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Formula's been around forever. My mom was born in 56 and she was formula fed.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 10:02 PM on May. 28, 2009

• i have no idea! my sis was born in 75 and I was born in 80 and mom formula fed us both. I know dad was breastfed (born in the 40's) but I dont know about mom (also born in 40's).
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:06 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Well, I am not sure about that, but I am sure they were the tops. My children were born in 1983 and 1988. They did not do well with those formulas, so I used Isomil. It was a soy based product. I am not sure if it is still around or not. Believe it or not, breastfeeding was not pushed back then. Lots of women did it, but it was not pushed like it is today.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:07 PM on May. 28, 2009

• In the 70's formula was bade my nestle. It was the first one that you used water insted of milk. But most people then used evaporated milk because they thought that the formula didnt have the right nutrition in it. I just googled all of this lol. Its a neat thing to know though.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:12 PM on May. 28, 2009

• As far as I know no one in my family was breastfed with the exception of my brother (for 6 months). This goes back as far as my great grandparents. My grandfather who is 66 was fed goats milk.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 10:13 PM on May. 28, 2009

• My Gramma used to make her own formula for her 2 DD's(my mom and Aunt). But in the 50's they thought formula was better then BM. So alot of women would make their own. I don't remember what exactly made from but I know it involved karo syrup, milk and a few other things.
    mere417

Answer by mere417 at 10:13 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I was born in 69 and my mom saved the pamphlet they gave her on formula feeding me and it is Enfamil.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 10:13 PM on May. 28, 2009

• My mother in law showed me my husbands baby book. Dr orders were formula until 3 months then cow milk. I dont know what kind formula it was but i was shocked that he was on cow milk since 3 months. Hes only 28 btw
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 10:16 PM on May. 28, 2009

• My brother who was born in '79 was on Similac.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 11:19 PM on May. 28, 2009