What do you think? Am I expecting too much of my husband?

We had our 2nd son almost 6 months ago now. I have lost most of the weight, but still have 15 pounds to lose to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight. I want to lose the weight, and DH has said he would like me to get back in shape too. So I told him that I would like to go running in the evening when it cools down (it gets to 110 degrees during the day here). He would have to watch our 4 year old and almost 6 month old for me to work out. He said that is fine, but he is only willing to watch them for a half and hour AND that time has to include my daily shower too. I think that is WAY too short. I would want to work out for at least a half an hour and then my showers usually take 20 minutes. When I asked for an hour he said no that is too long. He won't watch the kids for anything longer than a half an hour.
I think he is being stubborn and want to hear from others perspectives.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:29 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Relationships

• Be glad your hubby will watch them, mine wont. I execise in my home gym while they are napping, or asleep at night. Can you buy a tred mill?
    Anonymous

• you should get an hour just to yourself plus 30 minutes for exer... why do you need to coax your husband into watching HIS CHILDREN... he should be HONORED and asking for more alone time with them .... what's wrong with some men??
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:33 PM on May. 28, 2009

• He's being unreasonable. These are his kids too first of all, second of all, if he wants you to get back to prepregency weight he needs to help you.
    I'd tell him he can either watch them, or you'll join one of those gyms that have the daycare there for the kids (ours are in a big glass room so you can see your kids at all times).
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 10:34 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I think that he is their dad and he is more than capable of watching them for an hour or two. If he wants you to lose the weight then maybe he could give you a little support and watch them so you can get your workout and a decent shower. Good luck!
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 10:35 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I don't get it....no wonder women become gay. Men are a damn pain in the ass.
    Anonymous

• I agree MELRN! An hour a day is too much to ask of him?? Why don't you remind him of the other 23 hours a day where you are responsible for them?
    aprilmommy123

Answer by aprilmommy123 at 10:35 PM on May. 28, 2009

• WHAT? He can only spend 30 minutes a day with his children? You two need to sit down and talk. If he really looks at it like a "chore" to spend time with his children while his wife does something for herself, he needs some help. He should be spending way more than 30 mins a day with his children, tired or not. Mine works from 6am-9pm and still spends and hour every night with our oldest and two hours a night with the baby. He takes over on the weekends. On his days off, he takes them to the park so I can work or so I can do something for myself. I think you expect too little from him.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 10:35 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Why the negotiation? Is he a man or a boy babysitter? They are HIS children a blessing not an obligation or tax deduction. My ex was and is the same way and the major reason he is an EX!
    ormom1977

Answer by ormom1977 at 10:41 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I am surprised at his limiting the time to half an hour- that's nothing. I agree with the first answer that you get some kind of exercise machine that you enjoy using and use it during the day when you can. You could also get some exercise DVD's and exercise with those and not need to buy a machine. But it seems to me that it would be good for you to get out of the house on your own for a while every evening, and it would be good bonding time for your husband and children. Perhaps he could oversee bath time.

Answer by Bmat at 10:42 PM on May. 28, 2009

• im a stay at home mom.not by choice.i use to work.i loved working.then my husband promised
    me i didnt have to work.two kids later.drowning in debt.legal problems(caused by him)no money
    he wont watch the kids so i can work bring money in.my mom wont help.my mother in law wont help.its hard.start with an hour maybe he will do it for two hours.
    mima1972

Answer by mima1972 at 10:45 PM on May. 28, 2009