A smelly (vagina) situation...Embarassing Question but I'm concerned. TMI!!

I'm 34 weeks 5 days pregnant. Lately I've been having some ordor down there.

This is really embarrasing but it's kind of fishy smelling. I thought maybe it was related to my DH and I having intercourse but even when we don't I'll notice the smell in the shower when I'm washing.

Is this just something that can happen at the end of pregnancy or do I need to be checked out? I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and I plan to ask then but I just want to get some suggestions from other pregnant ladies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yes you probably have an infection. it happens to 2/3 of women late in pregnancy. tell him because he has to give you a prescription for antibiotics
    Anonymous

• Bacterial Vaginosis...nothing serious the PH in your stuff is off balance is all. The doctor can give you some antibiotics to clear the infection.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 10:37 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Thank you!!
    Anonymous

• You really need to go to the dr sounds like a bacterial infection I can't spell out the name of the infection but if its fishy smelly thats what it sounds like. You will have to go though because the dr will give you a antibotic for the infection and probably some cream to put down there. I've had one before there not that uncommon...it isn't anything to get upset about but it is important enough that you need to see your dr.
    Anonymous

• there are some natural alternatives you can try before the antibiotic, if you're curious or concerned. for instance, garlic is a natural antibiotic, you can stick a peeled clove up in there to help fight an infection
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 10:41 PM on May. 28, 2009

• It sounds like BV (bacterial vaginosis). The OB I was seeing in the beginning of this pregnancy diagnosed me with it and tried to scare me with the whole - could cause preterm labor - we need to put you on antibiotics for it...etc. Well it happens to a LOT of pregnant women. It's usually because the pH in your vagina is too high (alkaline) and needs to be brought down lower to a more acidic environment so that bacteria can not grow. I am not a doctor but I would strongly advise against antibiotics. They will kill bad bacteria, yes. But also the good bacteria too. I drank Kefir every day for a month and at my next prenatal my pH had dropped significantly and the BV was G-O-N-E. You can try another form of probiotic if you don't like the Kefir. Probiotics...not antibiotics :) Ah, and like the above poster said, garlic and Vitamin-C are great too :)
    Caramelturtle

Answer by Caramelturtle at 10:32 AM on May. 29, 2009