Would you send your 13 year old to middle school tomorrow where there's a confirmed case of swine flu, when the school board is refusing to close this middle school? (Referring to confirmed case today in Toledo, OH)

The student just got back from the 8th grade trip to NYC last Friday, and hasn't been to school since. Her illness was confirmed just today as swine flu. Another student that shared a room with her in NYC is said to also be sick, but it is not a confirmed case. The hotel they stayed at was based on quad occupancy, so there is one or 2 other girls that shared a room there that may have been exposed, that have been back to school. School board will NOT close school tomorrow; they say it would be an overreaction to do so, and also it's the first day of exams. Many of us want to keep our children home. What do you think?

Saucytaurean

Asked by Saucytaurean at 10:49 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Health

• I heard on one of the news channels that if a person is sick with the flu right now it is most likely the swine flu. It's just like the regular flu at this point, I think, so that is probably why they are refusing to close the school. However, if you aren't comfortable with your children going then you should have a conversation with the principal and see if there is any way your children can make the test up.

ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:53 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I wouldn't but then again I thought all schools were out for the summer!

Answer by admckenzie at 11:07 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Schools aren't be closed because there is no reason for them to be closed. The Swine flu is no worse than the regular strain of flu. In my school district there are 10 confirmed cases of the Swine flu and with about 15,000 kids total, that isn't too bad. The schools are not closed. Teach your child how to cover her mouth correctly when she coughs or sneezes (into her shoulder or the inside of her elbow), wash her hands after coughing or sneezing and to use hand sanitizer a couple times of day. You are over reacting, IMO.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:11 AM on May. 29, 2009

• No way I would send mine in. People seem to forget even the regular flu can be very dangerous. My school already knows if any confirmed swine flu comes into this county even my son will not be attending. Go with your gut mama!
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:31 AM on May. 29, 2009

• My daughter's school of 2000 (a six year high school) has had three confirmed cases; I am sure that there have been many more, especially since she has been sick since Wednesday night with a probable case of H1N1. Doctors are no longer testing for it, since the virus is so widespread (just like a typical flu virus); they are no longer prescribing antiviral medications because the symptoms are too mild to warrant risking the side effects of the antivirals (again, just like a typical flu virus).
    If schools closed everytime there was an outbreak of the flu, or chickenpox or strep throat or any other typical virus, kids would be in school year-round making up the days.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:21 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Remember, that unless your child has compromised health issues, they prob. are safe enough, the same as with any flu. The ones who have died or become so deathly ill are the ones that have underlying health problems.

Treating the flu is important, but also what is important is keeping the child away from others when they have the flu MOSTLY b/c their immune system is so low that they are likely to die from a secondary infection and not the flu itself.

Also, the flu is something that cannot be immunized against, b/c we know that you can the flu over and over again. An immunization is something that prevents the body b/c it builds antibodies. You can strengthen the body diff. ways to help it fight against the flu but you cannot totally prevent it.

PS: I was trained by the oldest living and most well known practicing pediatrician in the world. She developed the whooping cough vac.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:37 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Contact the CDC and have them look into your school's situation.
    Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
    http://www.cdc.gov/
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:19 PM on May. 29, 2009

• We have a middle school here with 15 confirmed cases. The school is open. There is no need for them to close. Your over reacting. It's no different from the regular flu. Sheesh.
    Anonymous