Re-lactation?

Has anyone ever done this?...
I had my daughter two months ago and i wanted to breast feed sooo bad and didnt because my boyfriend wanted to help feed her and make the bottles and stuff... so instead of pumping and stuff i just decided to bottle feed her... but i really wanna breast feed...

has anyone tried re-lactation?... how old was ur baby when u tried it and how did it go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It can be done. call your local lactation speacialist or la leache . Dont give up it is well worth it. Your boyfriend can bond with the baby if your breastfeeding dont let that stop you! Good luck

nursinghannah

Answer by nursinghannah at 11:41 PM on May. 28, 2009

• If you have breast pump you could try pumping several times a day and see if anything comes back plus try taking prenatal vitamins that may help too. They are good for you to take whether you are prego or not, they say they are better than a multi-vitamin. It's worth a shot if you got the time to pump. Not sure if there is a prescription out there that can help you produce milk or not, I'm thinking I heard it's illegal in the U.S. but not in Canada, so if real desperate you could try a canadian pharmacy online I guess.
    Anonymous

• http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/relactation-resources.html

At 2 mos, it's very doable. A lactation consultant can help. You can find a list on breastfeeding.com. The best way to make milk is to demand it. The more you stimulate your breasts, the more they produce. So get her to nurse as often as you can w/ a nipple shield if needed then wean from it as soon as you can . When she's not nursing, pump, even if nothing comes out. When she's nursing one side, pump the other. Take 2-3 fenugreek caps from GNC or health stores 3-4x a day. Use warm compresses like a hot towel while you nurse/pump. Have a lactation consultant help you establish a good latch. Use an Supplemental Nursing System to get her used to the breast while stimulating production and feeding her formula or pumped milk til you don't need it. Switch her bottle nipples to wide slow flow. Let me know if you need any help. Baby's best interest comes 1st =)
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:52 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I was going to suggest kellymom. That site is great. Get that babe to breast and use a supplemental nursing system to give formula right now through it, but you need the nipple stimulation for sure to get the milk back. Pump as often as you can. Pump one side while feeding with the SNS on the other and start mixing the formula with the pumped milk in the SNS. A pump is no where as efficient as babe at getting the milk out of the breast so get that child to breast as much as possible.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:43 AM on May. 29, 2009