Karate

How many of you moms enrolled your children in Karate? We are considering it for discipline reasons for my son. We think it may be beneficial but we would like to wait until I am certain he is mature enough to not think it would fun to use it at school or whatever. What has you experience been. And also, my sister's boyfriend seems to think that he is qualified to teach martial arts. He has convinced one of her friend to let him teach her son. He will simply be wrestling around with him, which is cool, but not really what the point is. What do you think about having an amateur "teach" your children? He is trying to convince me to let him teach our son too, but as far as I am concerned, that is out of the question.

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:08 PM on May. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• First, you should know that martial arts in unregulated -- meaning that, unlike doctors or lawyers or even personal trainers - there's no way, no place to look them up to see if they're "certified". They get "certified" by whoever taught them... who also got "certified" by whoever taught them, etc.

So, it's entirely possible this BF has sufficient training to teach... and it's entirely possible that the instructor at the local MA school doesn't have a clue what he/she is doing... or vice versa.

The best thing to do is to observe & research. Observe their classes, compare them to other classes observed, & ask them for a lineage (who taught them, who taught their instructor, who taught their instructor's instructor, etc) & get on Google with those names.

My husband teaches. He learned from his father (who was part of a Championship CA Team - I can't remember what yr) and various other respected masters.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:14 AM on May. 29, 2009

• No, I think you should enroll him with a professional. Karate is a good way for kids to learn self control, defense and discipline. I am going to enroll my son when he turns 5 I think. I don't really know what age to start him. He is only 3 now and I don't think he is quite old enough to understand the concept. but it is a great idea.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:35 PM on May. 28, 2009

• DON'T let an amateur teach your son! Go to a real dojo (karate) or dojang (Taekwondo.) I took TKD for 5+ years - and a lot of them were "family classes" where there were little kids in with the adults, so parents and children could take classes with their kids (I wasn't married at the time, so it was other families, not my own) and the children seemed to do really well. Some were rowdy but a good place will allow the little ones a time to have fun and act rowdy but expect them to show discipline, respect, and behave themselves when it's time to get down to learning.

Find a place or two you are considering. Go in and watch the children's classes (for his age group) and see how they are run and how the kids are handled. Also go in and watch a black belt class - a school is only as good as its black belts. Talk with the teacher of the children's class ...
    Anonymous

• ...and with mother's of the kids in the children's classes to get a better feel for the school and how well it teaches and handles kids.

Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Go with a professional school but I agree, it will be good for him. I'll be enrolling my little girl this fall, she'll be 3.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:02 AM on May. 29, 2009

• My son started Karate about 9 months ago. He was 4 at the time, but since turned 5. He loves it, and I was lucky to find a great school. They teach the kids respect and discipline. Next year when my little guy turns 4, I will be enrolling him in the school as well. I agree that you should go with a professional. Shop around until you find one that fits.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:10 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I used to teach tkd to young kids DO NOT let an amatuer teach your child it takes a lot of wrok and dedication to become a teacher and a black belt how can someone teach your child something they do not know themselves?The discipline of martial arts does not come from the fighting it comes from the philosophy and history lessons
    yoshiwife

Answer by yoshiwife at 12:52 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Some of you seem to have started your kids young. My concern really with my son is that he has an older family member (my son is 7, this kids is 10) that is somewhat of a bully. I have no contact with this other child, but I have tried to teach my son constructive ways of handling it. I am nervous that he will see learning Karate or some other form of martial arts as an excuse to fight with this boy. Make sense?
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:18 AM on May. 29, 2009

• both my sons are in karate, my youngest is 8 and he is autistic, karate has been a wonderful thing for him it really tought him how to contol his behavior and gives him something to be proud of everytime he moves up a belt color, he is in what is called "little dragons" or was, now he has moved up. iam so proud everytime i see him do a new kick or punch! he loves it now my 12 year old has been in karate since he was 3 he is now graduated to a junior black belt!!!! at 12 years old!!! hurray, he is even teaching classes even with adults in the class, it has tought him dicipline how to respect others and to have pride in himself. so in short i definatly reccommend karate to all kids, but i dont think it is a good idea to have a non proffessional teach your child karate is not just throwing punches kicks and rolling around. i would try a real karate school, look into the schools rep first then talk to them about your child
    tammylyn1971

Answer by tammylyn1971 at 7:42 AM on May. 29, 2009

• My husband teaches martial arts to kids, the best thing is to have them try it out, go around to different school and ask if he can try out the classes. Pretty much any school that allows you to try some free classes will be a school that cares and gets involved in their discipline. Many a times I see my husband on the side talking to a kid who was in trouble at school. Just yesterday I heard him say, well since you were sent home today for misbehaving, you can sit on the side and just watch, you can’t behave in school you can't come to my class, being here is a privilege if your bad you don't get privileges. This kid looked devastated, and promised with sincerity to be better. He even in some cases is looked at as a father figure. We live in a military town and some daddy's are away at work.
    northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 8:08 AM on May. 29, 2009