I have a 10 month that likes to scream/screech for no apparent reason. Any ideas on how to handle this?

NanaT70808

Asked by NanaT70808 at 11:10 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• scream back right near their face and I bet they stop. My son did this at about a yr and I tried to ignore it and one day I was so startled and frustrated I screamed back loudly and he never did it again. :o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:13 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Is he sounding upset or like he is just discovering his voice. My daughter would do this "da da" song that started out really quietly but would progress to the point where people throughout walmart could hear her. She only ever did it in public, and I think she was just trying to express herself. If he is doing that, then I would let it go. Let him learn how to use his voice. If he is actually screaming, and you are sure that nothing is wrong, then just ignore it.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:15 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I dealt with that same thing. My son would do it out of flustration, or out of pure happiness. Its just their way of gettting attention, and their way of discovering their voice. My son is a year and a half, and he still does it when he cant say things...He almost sounds like a caveman...lol
    BrittanyShay

Answer by BrittanyShay at 6:17 AM on May. 29, 2009

• My son did that. It gradually stopped. He is 2 and sometimes just lets out a loud scream out of pent up energy- not often though. It's not a big deal. Even if it is out of frustration, it is because your child does not yet have all the language needed to express themselves. If it is a boy you have, it may just be testosterone related.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:11 AM on May. 29, 2009

• don't scream back at your child. that is just awful. At 10 months she/he is just finding her/his voice. The quieter you talk to her/him the quieter she/he will get. I would also suggest making soothing quiet noises like ssshhhhh. Just make sure she/he is not trying to tell you something is wrong. If she/he is happy just redirect her/him to something else.
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 7:54 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Do NOT screem back, that is not right. Like others said, they are just finding their voice at 10 months. They will move on to something else before you know it.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 9:36 AM on May. 29, 2009

• the kid is just finding his/her voice. It'll pass. Don't yell back at them for something that's completely normal.
    ta2dirishlass

Answer by ta2dirishlass at 9:56 AM on May. 29, 2009

• my daugher does it too.. I only yell at her if I've asked her to stop.. given her something else to do.. etc... and it still continues for more than 20 min. I just don't have that much tolerance for screeching. Usually popping in the paci will work but sometimes she just does it cuz I won't pick her up. If you really find it hard to deal with, put her in her crib and let her scream in there.. its not gonna hurt!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 11:27 AM on May. 29, 2009