5 month old throwing up

Is there any thing I can give my 5 month old son to help him not throw up? He won't take pedialite at all and milk definitely is not a good thing at all right now for him cuz it just comes right back up. I am so scared he is gonna get dehydrated. He took maybe a half of an ounce of pedialite but that was after trying close to an hour to get him to drink some. We have rubbed him with vicks, and we have the cool mist humidifier going also gave him a infant vapor bath by johnson and johnson. My son poor son has been sick so much and it kills me to see him like this. Plz any advice will help.

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 11:32 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• call the pediatrician cuz i have no idea
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 11:34 PM on May. 28, 2009

• How long has been vomiting? It'll likely follow w/ diarrhea. Try apple juice, water, even popsicles in tiny pieces. Take a syringe full of water and stick it in the back of his throat so he'll swallow it (gently). Is he have any wet diapers? Signs of dehydration in a baby: pinch his skin gently, if it is slow to flatten out, he's dehydrated. Squeeze his fingernail till white and if the pink is slow to return, that's also a sign of dehydration. Really check the diapers to see if there's pee. There's a 48 hour bug going around here w/ vomiting. If he'll drink milk, give it to him regardless of the vomiting because you want him to drink something and you can try to keep up with the pedialyte. I'd call the nurse line if it is still happening in a couple hours or asap if dehydration seems likely. Don't freak out, take an hour at a time and if you have to go into the ER, you do. He'll be okay as long as you are watching his progress
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:38 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Don't put regular vicks on the baby ever, only if its the baby vicks and I'd probably skip it while he's puking. The smell might be too much for him. If he pukes, you are supposed to wait an hour until you give him ANYTHING. After that try to give him 1 teaspoon of pedialyte every 5 minutes if he can hold it down. Then try 1 oz, and wait. Gradually build up if you can. Only after he hasn't puked for 12 hours can you return to formula. (Of course all of this is IF he has a stomach bug.) Is he running a fever at all? If you aren't seeing the pee diapers, and life the PP said about pinching his skin, or mashing his fingernails, take him in! You do not want him dehydrated. Or if it's something else, the dr. can tell you. I know you may be trying to wait until morning, and if you can-great. If not, GO! I hope he gets better, poor little munchkin! :(
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 1:55 AM on May. 29, 2009