Do you know a child who was started on cow's milk before a year old who ISN'T sick or has allergies??

I was just wondering...there seems to be a general consensus that starting cow's milk before a year is terrible for a child's health, but I haven't met ONE kid who was started on cow's milk before a year old who is sick or has allergies. They are all as healthy as can be. Why the "mass hysteria" about cow's milk before a year old?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 PM on May. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• Oh and my son is 13 yrs old and is nowhere near obese. He doesn't drink milk now and neither do I. We occasionally have a glass of milk but usually drink water and unsweetened iced tea. We use milk in other items though. I really don't think milk causes all the problems that "research" says it does. I think allergies to food are a predisposed genetic link.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:46 PM on May. 29, 2009

• my son started at 10 month he is just fine now 5 years old
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 11:37 PM on May. 28, 2009

• My oldest son (now 22) refused formula when he was 8 months old. He started on regular milk and is about as healthy as a person can be. My youngest son, now going on 11, stopped nursing at 10 months and wouldn't drink formula so he got cow's milk too. Again, no allergies, he's not overweight and he sure isn't sickly.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:44 PM on May. 28, 2009

• my 1st daughter started it at 10 months too and she loves milk formula tastes bad to some babies go with what they like sometimes as long as they are eating as well.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 11:46 PM on May. 28, 2009

• my daughter had it at 10 months as well..she didnt have full bottles, but i gave her a few mouthfulls a day in a regular cup, to get her used to it..shes 5 now and has absolutely no problems with her
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:30 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I heard that it is tough on the little ones kidneys from all the protein in it. But very little amounts after 9 months was okay.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 12:44 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I started my son on regular whole milk at 6 mos && he is fine. It's not "bad" for them, it just doesn't have as many vitamins && things in it as the formula does. I don't believe that it can cause health problems, really, it's just not quite as good for them as formula is.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 12:47 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I have no idea, All my kids started on cow's milk at 9 months old, my youngest is allergic to nickel but has been since the day she was born.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 4:03 AM on May. 29, 2009

• My son started at 10 months old based on his doctor's recommendation. He is allergic to casein (milk protein); causes cold-like symptoms, grogginess, makes him fuzzy-headed. Once I started looking into and researching a bit, I'm convinced that no one should have cow's milk. Go online and investigate a bit and you may be convinced too. Gross.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:27 AM on May. 29, 2009

• None of mine are. They started taking sips of milk out of my husband's glass around 6/7 months old and by 8/9 months they were getting milk in their sippy cups with dinner. Not every day but maybe once a week as a treat (same with juice, otherwise they just drank water). The closer they got to 1 the more milk they got.
    None of them are allergic. They all LOVE milk. If I let them drink it as often as they wanted we would go through more then a gallon a day so they only get it in their cereal and when we are out to eat (still go through 4 or 5 gallons a week).
    You can develop allergies at any time, though. I used to love milk until 8 years ago. Now I'm lactose intolerant. I still eat dairy and put a little in my cereal but I can't drink it straight up and if I eat/drink too much of it I get a horrible stomach ache. It all started when I was pregnant with my son.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:12 AM on May. 29, 2009