Allergic to grass?

My daughter has broken out twice in the last 2 weeks. She is covered head to toe in a severe rash. It is very red and flat. Almost looks like a sun burn. Her face usually looks the worse. It itches. I took her to an allergist who did some blood work that we are waiting on results for. He said it is not a food allergy but most likely something outside such as grass. Has anyone else dealth with it? I'm curious on how they will treat it? She is on zyrtec and a prescrition allergy medicine now and it still breaking out. They also told me to not let her be in the sun right now. She is only 4 and I feel so bad for her.

melody525

Asked by melody525 at 11:36 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Health

• try putting a little jasons tee tree oil in her shampoo in her bath and giving her local honey in some tea cooler everyday vacuume a lot 2 and get rid of cats!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 11:41 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Don't get rid of the cats until you know what she is allergic to. I break out from grass and that is why I don't cut the grass unless necessary. I take Zyrtec D twice a day and Singulair at night. She could be allergic to something else and not grass. It could be pollen, certain flowers, rag weed, cottonwood trees. She could also be allergic to the sun. If you do take her outside to play, give her a bath or shower when she comes in to get rid of airborne allergens from her hair and skin. Change her clothes because allergens stick to clothing too. I always take a shower before I go to bed if I have been outside a lot. Wait to see what the doc says and follow what he tells you.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:08 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I'm allergic to grass, but I don't react that severely.  I take over the counter allergy pills and they work fine for me.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:12 AM on May. 29, 2009

• It might be the kind of grass, more like a wheat grass or something and prob. not just a common grass. My cousin always looks like he's been whipped after romping in the yard (even tho he's an adult.) He's found, getting a quick shower after being in the yard works. Usually he doesn't know he's going to break out so severely in someones yard till it happens. He turns red and has whelps.

Showering seems to take care of it well enough for him.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:30 AM on May. 29, 2009

• my daughter ahd that..she was coughing really bad etc. she's on zyrtec and a cough syrup and after a few weeks she's fine now
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 10:06 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Hopefully, whatever the allergy is, she'll either outgrow it or build enough of an immunity to it where her reaction won't be as severe as she gets older.
    Have faith that the allergen will be found and that she will be fine.
    Hugs to you and your sweetie pie. ♥
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:09 PM on May. 29, 2009

• my son had seasonal allergies in that he sneezed a lot with head congestion, watery eyes. He never had a rash. However, I found a natural supplement that has stopped all his symptoms. It might help your little one too. It is natural and safe to use for all ages. I love this stuff. he feels so much better. message me if you want more info.
    jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 6:33 PM on May. 29, 2009

• One time when I was a kid and playing outside all day in the summer I ended up getting this whole rash I mean head to toe hives for days. Doctor told my mom to give me benedryl and that clear calamine lotion.. Well after awhile we figured out what it was. My brother and I had been playing in the empty ditch at the edge of our yard and the city had been spraying with ditches with weed stuff and it was a grass ditch too. But yeah there's an idea for you maybe she got into some grass with chemical in it.
    aameliaz

Answer by aameliaz at 8:42 PM on May. 29, 2009

• My daughter is allergic to grass as well. It was much worse when she was younger. Poor thing basically lived on liquid Benadryl in large doses (according to doctor's recommendations precisely). She's 15 now....but still cannot have direct contact with grass without a rash. She currently takes Zyrtec twice daily for the grass and other allergies.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 1:43 PM on May. 30, 2009