when is it okay to start solids?

My little girl is four months now, I've started giving her stage 1 fruits, but it seems to make her constipated. Is this normal?

djlizliz

Asked by djlizliz at 11:44 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (-2 Credits)
  • my son needs to drink a lot or he gets constipated too.
    Anonymous

• I think she's too young for the solids. Might be better to wait until 6 months. She can have cereal at 4 mos. I just used the back of the Gerber cereal box as a guide.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 1:46 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I started just a bit of cereal in the evening at 3 or maybe closer to 4months, even though I had family that said to start if after 2 WEEKS (crazy I think.) I think around 5months I started some solids. Just a little. I do it just to put her at the table and have her eating at the same time I do so she learns the importance of family dinner time and so she can start tasting things. She never eats much. Maybe an ounce. And from my experience, try to start with veggies. IF you start the sweet stuff they always want it, I have to work really hard to get my little girl to even open her mouth for anything green because she LOVEs her bananas and applesauce.
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 2:06 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Make sure the solids FOLLOW her bottle or nursing. Solids are dessert...she should be mainly living on formula or breastmilk.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:29 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Fruits can be constipating, but most first solids will do that. It's the fiber (which is a good thing). You might try waiting a couple more months, and let her system develop a little more (which will also help her avoid allergies). Once she hits 6 months, you can start giving her a little water (no more than 4 oz a day), which will also help.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:08 AM on May. 29, 2009

• its making her constipated cause her tummy cant handle or digest it yet! why dont people EVER read or listen to the pedi's when they say 6 MONTHS TO START SOLIDS why are we trying to rush our kids into eating solids.. starting to soon can cause more food allergies and asthma also stomach issues. and has been linked to early obesity. besides when young like that its to only get them used to the texture and how to eat off a spoon NOT for nutrition so stick to either BF or bottle!
    ~pediatric nurse~
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on May. 29, 2009

• well, I started b/c that was whats recommend of my doctor, so maybe you should jump down their throat.
    djlizliz

Answer by djlizliz at 12:08 AM on Jun. 10, 2009